Forum: Mongrel Reducing Memory Footprint of Mongrel Handlers

Asif A. (Guest)
Dear Members,
Mongrel Handlers seem to take up about 110 MB for each instance and
sometimes upto 20% cpu usage on an 8 core system..

Though this has a lot to do with the application, any suggestions for
improvement at the software stack level? [especially for the RAM?]

regards

Asif A.
Eric W. (Guest)
Asif A. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Dear Members,
> Mongrel Handlers seem to take up about 110 MB for each instance and
> sometimes upto 20% cpu usage on an 8 core system..

> Though this has a lot to do with the application, any suggestions for
> improvement at the software stack level? [especially for the RAM?]

Avoid slurping.  Don't read large files into memory all at once,
LIMIT all your SELECT statements.  That's the biggest problem
I see in all sorts of apps.

Other than that there could be a lot of app specific things...
Go by process of elimination and figure out where/when/if memory
jumps are taking place and even rip out chunks of code
that are suspect :)
Asif A. (Guest)
Eric,

Thank you for those suggestions. We are reviewing those select
statements...again.

But do some patches [like the forking patch] help?

Asif A.
Dave C. (Guest)
Nope, that looks about normal, based on my experience. Our app would
consume 80Mb once mongrel had started, and would jump to well over
120Mb after serving a request.
Roger P. (Guest)
on 2009-04-04 09:48
Asif A. wrote:
> Dear Members,
> Mongrel Handlers seem to take up about 110 MB for each instance and
> sometimes upto 20% cpu usage on an 8 core system..
>
> Though this has a lot to do with the application, any suggestions for
> improvement at the software stack level? [especially for the RAM?]

try the MBARI patches, if you're using 1.8.x
Cheers!
-=r