Forum: Ruby on Rails Hello World works on Mongrel but not in Passenger (Error 500), and nothing in the logs?

crayfellow (Guest)
I'm sure this is something common I'm missing.

I have installed Rails on Ubuntu using the helpful information at
http://guides.rubyonrails.org/getting_started.html and
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RubyOnRails

I'm just trying to get Hello World working before moving on to other
things. I have deleted the public/index.html (which displays fine with
Apache) and done the following:
script/generate controller home index
edit config/routes.rb and add the line map.root :controller => "home"
above the default routes

Pretty simple.... so I got the Passenger error at first because root
owned config/environment.rb so it is now owned by www-data.

Now, I get Error 500 no matter what I do.

Fire up Mongrel and go to http://blah.mydomain.com:3000/ and it works
perfectly. Go to http://blah.mydomain.com/ and, Error 500 "We're
sorry, but something went wrong."

I hope this is something simple with the Apache config I'm simply
missing. I presume since the error shows up at all that my Passenger
config is at least correct in part.

Anyone?
Thanks,
-Patrick
zeuscm (Guest)
I was suffering the same thing so:

I did this:

    first in httpd.conf file, after:
     LoadModule passenger_module /opt/ruby-enterprise/lib/ruby/gems/
1.8/gems/passenger-2.1.2/ext/apache2/mod_passenger.so
     PassengerRoot /opt/ruby-enterprise/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/
passenger-2.1.2
     PassengerRuby /opt/ruby-enterprise/bin/ruby

     RailsSpawnMethod conservative  #This I wrote it, just because the
user guide says that is necesary to do it, when works well in mongrel
not in Passenger.

<VirtualHost *:80>
      ServerName www.sitename.com.mx             #Domain name to
public
      DocumentRoot "/usr/local/apache2/htdocs/sitename/public"   #the
place where where app is in filesystem --erase this comment because
apache give an error.
      RailsEnv development                                  #Say to
pasenger that our app is in development.

     </VirtualHost>

    It could be necesary check the path to ruby binary files ...

   I hope this help.
Tony D. (Guest)
on 2009-10-13 02:17
I've been trying to figure out this problem for a while and stumbled
onto this forum entry.  RailsEnv worked for me.

Linux t-desktop 2.6.28-15-generic #52-Ubuntu SMP Wed Sep 9 10:48:52 UTC
2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Thanks!!
Leon V. (Guest)
on 2012-08-15 05:25
Just have to say thank you for this post.
I have Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and have been trying to learn ruby on rails and
this has been something I am stuck on now for 2 days. :) RAILS_ENV
helped, but did not solve it for me yet.
Colin L. (Guest)
On 15 August 2012 02:25, Leon V. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Just have to say thank you for this post.
> I have Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and have been trying to learn ruby on rails and
> this has been something I am stuck on now for 2 days. :) RAILS_ENV
> helped, but did not solve it for me yet.

It is no good replying to a three year old thread saying that you have
the problem too.  Start a new thread and describe the problem you are
seeing.

Colin