Forum: Ruby on Rails Application without database.yml

Tushar G. (Guest)

I have created one application. In that application I am not using any
database.
Whenever I starting rails server it is giving me an error for
configuration of database.yml.
What should I do for this?

Thanks,
Tushar
Shuaib Z. (Guest)
As far as I concern that rails runs with database.yml

u can use sqlite3 and create an empty database which has no harm on
your application

On Mar 31, 11:31 am, Tushar G. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Fernando P. (Guest)
on 2009-03-31 13:58
> What should I do for this?

Read environment.rb
Tushar G. (Guest)
on 2009-03-31 14:10
Shuaib Z. wrote:
> As far as I concern that rails runs with database.yml
>
> u can use sqlite3 and create an empty database which has no harm on
> your application
>

> On Mar 31, 11:31�am, Tushar G. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>

I agreed that  there is no harm to create an empty database. Is there no
other way?
Thanks,
Tushar
Fernando P. (Guest)
on 2009-03-31 14:13
> I agreed that  there is no harm to create an empty database. Is there no
> other way?

That's lame to install the DB software, configure it, and leave it
empty. Read environment.rb and tell your app to not load ActiveRecord.
Jason Arora (Guest)
It is possible to use Rails without a database. This is what Fernando
is referring to:

  # Skip frameworks you're not going to use. To use Rails without a
database
  # you must remove the Active Record framework.
  # config.frameworks -=
[ :active_record, :active_resource, :action_mailer ]

On Mar 31, 3:13 am, Fernando P. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Tushar G. (Guest)
on 2009-04-01 08:59
Jason Arora wrote:
> It is possible to use Rails without a database. This is what Fernando
> is referring to:
>
>   # Skip frameworks you're not going to use. To use Rails without a
> database
>   # you must remove the Active Record framework.
>   # config.frameworks -=
> [ :active_record, :active_resource, :action_mailer ]
>
> On Mar 31, 3:13�am, Fernando P. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>

Hi,
I removed comment of the
config.frameworks -=[ :active_record, :active_resource, :action_mailer
].
I removed the database.yml and tried to start the server. I am getting
an error
"uninitialized constant Rails::Plugin::ActiveRecord (NameError)"
I am using rfacebook plugin in this application.
Could you give me the solution for this?
Thanks,
Tushar
Sijo k. (Guest)
on 2009-04-01 09:33
uncomment like (if you dont need active record) No need to remove
database.yml
config.frameworks -= [ :active_record  ]

     Now restart the server
Tushar G. (Guest)
on 2009-04-01 09:38
Sijo Kg wrote:
> uncomment like (if you dont need active record) No need to remove
> database.yml
> config.frameworks -= [ :active_record  ]
>
>      Now restart the server

Still I am getting same error.
Thanks
Tushar
Frederick C. (Guest)
> I am using rfacebook plugin in this application.
> Could you give me the solution for this?

That looks like rfacebook is trying to use the database. If it
genuinely needs this then you;ll have to setup a database for your
app.

Fred