Forum: Ruby How to get list of all processes and the kill by name

Eric M. (Guest)
on 2009-03-31 07:49
I am working on a scraper that blows up if an instance of Firefox is
already running (launched via Firewatir) so I want to put in code that
first checks for any existing Firefox processes and issues a kill to
their PIDs.

I'm really new to Ruby -- how can I best accomplish this?  Thanks.
Glen H. (Guest)
I would just use the system for it.  But if you really want to do it in
Ruby
you could do something like this:

process_list = `ps aux | grep firefox`.split("\n")
process_list.each do |process|
  process = process.split(' ')
  command ||= []
  command << process.last
  pid ||= []
  pid << process[1]
end

Then you can kill stuff based on command to your hearts content.

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 9:49 PM, Eric M. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:

> I am working on a scraper that blows up if an instance of Firefox is
> already running (launched via Firewatir) so I want to put in code that
> first checks for any existing Firefox processes and issues a kill to
> their PIDs.
>
> I'm really new to Ruby -- how can I best accomplish this?  Thanks.
> --

"Hey brother Christian with your high and mighty errand, Your actions
speak
so loud, I can’t hear a word you’re saying."

-Greg Graffin (Bad Religion)
Daniel B. (Guest)
> I am working on a scraper that blows up if an instance of Firefox is
> already running (launched via Firewatir) so I want to put in code that
> first checks for any existing Firefox processes and issues a kill to
> their PIDs.
>
> I'm really new to Ruby -- how can I best accomplish this?  Thanks.

gem install sys-proctable

Regards,

Dan
Peter B. (Guest)
It's OS specific. `killall Firefox` is a good place to start.