Forum: Ruby on Rails Can RJS render new javascript?

dino d. (Guest)
Hi -

I'm trying to create a widget where my rails code generates a fresh
widget (which is javascript) to replace the old one.  To do this, I
need to insert new javascript with AJAX with RJS (so my partial begins
with <script...).  Is this possible?  Right now, it replaces the old
widget div with nothing and I get no errors.  Is this a browser
safeguard or something?

Thanks for any help,
Dino
Phlip (Guest)
dino d. wrote:

> I'm trying to create a widget where my rails code generates a fresh
> widget (which is javascript) to replace the old one.  To do this, I
> need to insert new javascript with AJAX with RJS (so my partial begins
> with <script...).  Is this possible?  Right now, it replaces the old
> widget div with nothing and I get no errors.  Is this a browser
> safeguard or something?

Wouldn't your controller action look like this?

   def xhr_whatever
     render :update do |rjs|
       rjs.replace :my_div, '<script> js blah blah blah </script>'

The stack should handle escaping, javascript-ing, escaping,
transmitting,
de-escaping, evaluating, and de-escaping that.

But I'm sure there's a better way to write your actual feature. I sling
Ajax
here and there all the time and never once found a need to push a
'<script>'...
dinoD (Guest)
Thanks for the reply.  I'm writing the <script> code because i'm
testing an example user of the widget, and it simply calls the website
that generates the widget.  so is there some escaping type issue that
would prevent directly rendering a <script> tag from RJS?
Frederick C. (Guest)
On Mar 31, 4:12 am, dinoD <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Thanks for the reply.  I'm writing the <script> code because i'm
> testing an example user of the widget, and it simply calls the website
> that generates the widget.  so is there some escaping type issue that
> would prevent directly rendering a <script> tag from RJS?

Prototype strips script tags (see
http://prototypejs.org/api/element/replace
)

Fred
dinoD (Guest)
Thanks Fred.  I see in the code that you're correct (however that link
implies that you can do this, it shows an example of how to add a
script tag).  So generically, is it ever possible to use an ajax call,
such as link_to_remote, where response partial renders javascript?

Thanks,
Dino

On Mar 31, 4:54 am, Frederick C. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Frederick C. (Guest)
On Mar 31, 4:03 pm, dinoD <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Thanks Fred.  I see in the code that you're correct (however that link
> implies that you can do this, it shows an example of how to add a
> script tag).  So generically, is it ever possible to use an ajax call,
> such as link_to_remote, where response partial renders javascript?

I suppose you could just assign stuff to element.innerHTML without
using prototype. ALso prototype does actually eval the script tags, it
just doesn't leave them hanging around in the DOM.

Fred
dinoD (Guest)
Sorry for the dumb follow up, but can you do that in RJS (update an
elements innerHTML directly) ?

Thanks Fred,
Dino

On Mar 31, 11:15 am, Frederick C. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Frederick C. (Guest)
On Mar 31, 9:53 pm, dinoD <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Sorry for the dumb follow up, but can you do that in RJS (update an
> elements innerHTML directly) ?

Well there's the assigns thing in RJS, failing that you can execute
arbitrary javascript with <<

Fred