Forum: Ruby Help with GServer

Sudhi K. (Guest)

I have a requirement

when user type http://localhost:8000/1.xml ... the server should return
1.xml contents which is stored in server's local file system.

I wrote ruby script using GServer library but in serve() function how do
I get the query_string basically I want to be able to get that the user
has requested 1.xml some how...

Please help...

Thanks,
Sudhi
Iñaki Baz C. (Guest)
2009/3/30 Sudhi K. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:
> Hi,
>
> I have a requirement
>
> when user type http://localhost:8000/1.xml ... the server should return
> 1.xml contents which is stored in server's local file system.
>
> I wrote ruby script using GServer library but in serve() function how do
> I get the query_string basically I want to be able to get that the user
> has requested 1.xml some how...

I don't understand your problem.

GServer is just a threaded TCP listener, it doesn't work at
application level (as an HTTP server does). So the steps you should do
are:

1) Start GServer.
2) For each *TCP* connection parse the TCP data and extract the first
line to get the requested URL.
3) Do anything with it.

But you should use something as Mongrel which allows this kind of stuf
very easy and ellegant.
Brian C. (Guest)
on 2009-03-30 16:25
Iñaki Baz C. wrote:
> But you should use something as Mongrel which allows this kind of stuf
> very easy and ellegant.

For a low-level HTTP app, I'd say use Rack. You just write a single
handler function; each incoming request calls that function, and the
response is what your function returns.

http://rack.rubyforge.org/
http://rack.rubyforge.org/doc/files/SPEC.html

It includes a bunch of modules you can plug in, like Rack::File which
does exactly the sort of static file serving you're talking about. And
the nice thing is you can run your application under any webserver you
like without any modification.

For a higher-level HTTP app, I'd say use Sinatra. Your app becomes as
simple as this (minus security checks):

  require 'sinatra'
  get '/:id.xml'
    send_file "/path/to/#{id}.xml"
  end

Sinatra runs on Rack, and you can plugin Rack modules easily.
Sudhi K. (Guest)
on 2009-03-30 18:44
Brian C. wrote:
> Iñaki Baz C. wrote:
>> But you should use something as Mongrel which allows this kind of stuf
>> very easy and ellegant.
>
> For a low-level HTTP app, I'd say use Rack. You just write a single
> handler function; each incoming request calls that function, and the
> response is what your function returns.
>
> http://rack.rubyforge.org/
> http://rack.rubyforge.org/doc/files/SPEC.html
>
> It includes a bunch of modules you can plug in, like Rack::File which
> does exactly the sort of static file serving you're talking about. And
> the nice thing is you can run your application under any webserver you
> like without any modification.
>
> For a higher-level HTTP app, I'd say use Sinatra. Your app becomes as
> simple as this (minus security checks):
>
>   require 'sinatra'
>   get '/:id.xml'
>     send_file "/path/to/#{id}.xml"
>   end
>
> Sinatra runs on Rack, and you can plugin Rack modules easily.
Hi,

Thanks for the solutions Sinatra and Rack look good but need a bit of
extra installations which I want to avoid for this basic operation...

I like the idea to parse TCP Stram... should I do it in serve()? All I
get as input in serve is a io object of type TCPSocket how do I parse
lines from it? Snippet would be of big help...

Thanks,
Sudhi
James G. (Guest)
On Mar 30, 2009, at 9:44 AM, Sudhi K. wrote:

> Thanks for the solutions Sinatra and Rack look good but need a bit of
> extra installations which I want to avoid for this basic operation...

Then use the WEBrick standard library that ships with Ruby.

> I like the idea to parse TCP Stram...

No you don't.  Trust me.  ;)

James Edward G. II
Brian C. (Guest)
on 2009-03-30 19:22
James G. wrote:
> On Mar 30, 2009, at 9:44 AM, Sudhi K. wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the solutions Sinatra and Rack look good but need a bit of
>> extra installations which I want to avoid for this basic operation...
>
> Then use the WEBrick standard library that ships with Ruby.
>
>> I like the idea to parse TCP Stram...
>
> No you don't.  Trust me.  ;)

If you don't trust him: read RFC 2616 from top to bottom. Then you will
trust him :-)
Eleanor McHugh (Guest)
On 30 Mar 2009, at 15:51, James G. wrote:
> On Mar 30, 2009, at 9:44 AM, Sudhi K. wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the solutions Sinatra and Rack look good but need a bit of
>> extra installations which I want to avoid for this basic operation...
>
> Then use the WEBrick standard library that ships with Ruby.

For an overview of how to use WEBrick grab the Camping presentation
from the link in my .sig and also read the following:

http://blog.segment7.net/articles/category/webrick
http://microjet.ath.cx/webrickguide/html/

but don't expect to get high performance as that's not WEBrick's
strength.

Ellie

Eleanor McHugh
Games With Brains