Forum: Ruby Shoes, Gems, Oh, My!

Steve R. (Guest)
I'll ask this question that I asked on stackoverflow (to a resounding
silence). I'm sure someone here knows the answer. I'm not completely
grokking how Shoes handles gems and, more importantly, what the
lifetime of objects should be in Shoes. Here was the question:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/691968/shoes-and-gems

In a nutshell, I do this in my Shoes.setup (extracting to inline code
for the purposes of simplicity)

Shoes.setup do
   require 'xmlrpc/client'

   secure = true
   @server = XMLRPC::Client.new((secure) ? MWS_SECURE_URN : MWS_URN,
MWS_ENDPOINT, nil, nil, nil, nil, nil, secure)
   result = @server.call('mywebservice.auth.login', :userName =>
'me', :userPassword => 'password')
end

The results on the Shoes console are:

undefined method `closed?' for #<OpenSSL::SSL::SSLSocket:somehexnumber>

That leads me to believe that I don't understand how long @server
hangs around, or something like that. Google has been little help in
terms of how the gem system works or information about object scope,
visibility and lifetime.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Phlip (Guest)
s.ross wrote:

> I'll ask this question that I asked on stackoverflow (to a resounding
> silence).

Ask on the Shoes Adventurers Mailing List. I am quite certain that what
will
resound won't be silence!

> I'm sure someone here knows the answer.

They better keep it to themselves.

The reason you should pick the best forum for a question is so you will
get the
best answer. If someone on this group told you the wrong answer, we
don't have
enough critical mass of Shoes afficionados to correct them.
Steve R. (Guest)
On Mar 29, 2009, at 12:09 PM, Phlip wrote:

> Ask on the Shoes Adventurers Mailing List.

Thanks for the pointer. I'll consider myself chased off.

I appreciate your frequent contributions to this list, but an answer
that consists of "I don't know, ask '{here}'" or "use Google" has the
effect of foreclosing further discussion when someone else might have
just solved the exact same problem and been able to answer the
question very quickly. I am aware of the s/n issues and the read-first-
ask-questions-last research method.

Again, your contributions are significant and for that, thanks.
spox (Guest)
On Sunday 29 March 2009 13:10:23 s.ross wrote:
> ask-questions-last research method.
>
> Again, your contributions are significant and for that, thanks.

Anyway, this looks more like a stdlib question than a shoes question.
What
line generates that exception? Can you show the exception backtrace plus
the
offending code that generates the exception.