Forum: Ruby ruby1.9 - to make it real

Chas C. (Guest)
on 2009-03-29 14:55
HI,
How make ruby1.9 the default? (but don't want to eliminate 1.8.6 yet)

MacPorts installed ruby1.9 here ..../opt/local/bin/ruby1.9

Default OS X Leopard ruby (1.8.6) is found here.... /usr/bin/ruby

Do I just rename the stuff in /opt/local/bin from ruby1.9 to ruby and
let it be found first?

$PATH
/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin:/opt/local/bin

Many Thanks!
Eric J. (Guest)
Chas C. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> writes:

> Do I just rename the stuff in /opt/local/bin from ruby1.9 to ruby and
> let it be found first?

You may configure the port with +nosuffix to clear the
1.9 suffixes.
Florian G. (Guest)
I would pay a bit of attention, because there is software relying on
OS X
having ruby1.8 installed by default (Textmate for example). Chances that
this software breaks when you execute them on 19 instead are high.

What you could do is create a shell alias in Terminal that is only
applied
on interactive use. Granted - that's only a half-fix.

Regards,
Florian

--
Florian G.

smtp:   removed_email_address@domain.invalid
jabber: removed_email_address@domain.invalid
gpg:    533148E2
Robert K. (Guest)
On 29.03.2009 14:44, Florian G. wrote:
> I would pay a bit of attention, because there is software relying on
> OS X
> having ruby1.8 installed by default (Textmate for example). Chances that
> this software breaks when you execute them on 19 instead are high.
>
> What you could do is create a shell alias in Terminal that is only
> applied
> on interactive use. Granted - that's only a half-fix.

A variant of that is to create a script called ruby which execs the 19
version - that way you can also have other processes benefit from the
"fix".  You may need to adjust your path though.

Cheers

  robert
Chas C. (Guest)
on 2009-03-29 18:26
by interactive....do you mean irb?

> What you could do is create a shell alias in Terminal that is only
> applied
> on interactive use. Granted - that's only a half-fix.

Thanks for your responses!
James G. (Guest)
On Mar 29, 2009, at 7:44 AM, Florian G. wrote:

> I would pay a bit of attention, because there is software relying on
> OS X having ruby1.8 installed by default (Textmate for example).

We've been working to make TextMate 1.9 friendly.  I'm sure we haven't
caught absolutely everything yet, but we're getting there.

James Edward G. II
Chas C. (Guest)
on 2009-03-30 10:28
So I ended up just making a symlink:

sudo ln -s /opt/local/bin/ruby1.9 /opt/local/bin/ruby

which seems to work fine so far....Textmate - Run as well....