Forum: GNU Radio location of installed gnuradio programs Q

davek (Guest)
What is the criteria for a gnu radio program that determines if it
gets put in /usr/local/bin or /usr/local/share/gnuradio/examples ?
Just wondering...
thanks
Michael D. (Guest)
On Mar 27, 2009, at 11:09 PM, davek wrote:
> What is the criteria for a gnu radio program that determines if it
> gets put in /usr/local/bin or /usr/local/share/gnuradio/examples

These are parameters that can be specified as 'configure' arguments:
the former is "--prefix=[path]" and the latter is "--
datarootdir=[path]" and then the examples will be installed in "$
{datarootdir}/gnuradio/examples" .  You listed the defaults for these
( ${prefix}=/usr/local and ${datarootdir}=${prefix}/share ), which are
specified internally in configure.ac and/or config/*.m4  files.
davek (Guest)
Ok, but when people check in programs to the repository, what makes
them decide if its a /bin program of a /example program? Is there some
reason behind the choice?
Johnathan C. (Guest)
On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 7:21 AM, davek <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:

> Ok, but when people check in programs to the repository, what makes
> them decide if its a /bin program of a /example program? Is there some
> reason behind the choice?

In general, we install very few scripts to the $prefix/bin location.
These are typically utility programs that are most convenient to be
able to run from any directory, such as the usrp_fft.py and
usrp_siggen.py scripts.

GNU Radio example programs are meant as as demonstrations of how to
write simple GNU Radio applications, and are categorized in the
$prefix/share/gnuradio/examples hierarchy.  They sometimes don't keep
up with the latest version of GNU Radio, and must also be run either
with an explicit path or from the current directory.

Johnathan