Forum: Ruby on Rails Message Queue for Rails?

Greg W. (Guest)
on 2009-03-28 03:29
So, MQ was an active area for a while with several contenders like AP4R.

Many libs seemed focused on triggering long or scheduled processes, and
not really for connecting many small apps together to build responses
for a Rails front-end app.

After some googling, it seems like activity has dies off. AP4R seems to
have stalled (I can't find anything newer than a year old). None of the
projects that surfaced from 05 through 08 seems to have become the de
facto "winner" that I can see.

I'm looking for a MQ system that's not about just offloading long or
scheduled activities, but for real-time messaging to connect several
small independent Rails/Ruby apps to build a Rails page.

I'm hoping to find something that can handle a number of different data
formats for replies (XML, YAML, native AR objects or maybe even
marshalled ruby objects).

Any suggestions on the best contenders?

-- gw
AD (Guest)
Jruby + JMS is your best bet.  That is what I do and works great.

Adam

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 9:29 PM, Greg W.
Greg W. (Guest)
on 2009-03-28 04:15
After continuing to sift through older articles and following up, I'm
finding som e stuff about Apache's ActiveMQ / ActiveMessaging / STOMP.
Still sorting through what it does and how it integrates. Most info is
again from 2007. Anyone have any recent interaction with this setup?

-- gw
Christian Lupp (Guest)
Maik Schmidt's PragProg-book "Enterprise Recipes with Ruby and Rails"
may help you out ;-)  He's using ActiveMQ and is integrating JMS with
Ruby as well as Active Messaging.

my2cents,

Chris

On Mar 28, 3:15 am, Greg W. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Greg W. (Guest)
on 2009-03-28 20:44
Christian Lupp wrote:
> Maik Schmidt's PragProg-book "Enterprise Recipes with Ruby and Rails"
> may help you out ;-)  He's using ActiveMQ and is integrating JMS with
> Ruby as well as Active Messaging.

Ah, cool. Thx. Ordered.

-- gw