Forum: Ruby Monitoring folder for changes

Felipe C. (Guest)
on 2009-03-28 01:43
Is there any gem or code example that would help me to watch a given
folder for changes and trigger a callback upon change detection?

Thanks!

-- Felipe
Ara H. (Guest)
On Mar 27, 2009, at 5:39 PM, Felipe C. wrote:

> Is there any gem or code example that would help me to watch a given
> folder for changes and trigger a callback upon change detection?
>
> Thanks!
>
> -- Felipe
> --

sudo gem install directory_watcher

a @ http://codeforpeople.com/
Felipe C. (Guest)
on 2009-03-28 01:56
Ara Howard wrote:
> sudo gem install directory_watcher
> a @ http://codeforpeople.com/

Now that was fast! Thanks Ara!

Best regards,

-- Felipe
Brian A. (Guest)
Felipe C. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> writes:

> Ara Howard wrote:
>> sudo gem install directory_watcher
>> a @ http://codeforpeople.com/
>
> Now that was fast! Thanks Ara!

If speed is more important than portability, you may want to consider
utilizing operating specific features. I believe Linux, OSX & Windows
all provide notifications of changes to the file system so you wouldn't
have to periodically poll.