Forum: Ruby on Rails Adding a css stylesheet to a plugin

Davide B. (Guest)
on 2009-03-27 09:51
Hello folks,
I am creating a simple RoR plugin, mostly to teach myself the art of
plugin-coding.
The plugin is mostly a helper plugin, generating HTML code.
Now I would like to include a CSS stylesheet ; the idea is to supply a
"my_plugin_css" helper to print a link to the css stylesheet in the
template head, but if there is a way to auto-load a css (that is,
withoutb the plugin user intervention) I'd be happy to use it.
Anyway, my main problem now is telling rails to load my css file as if
it was in the usual "plublic/stylesheet" folder.
Any suggestion?
Davide
Harold (Guest)
I don't think it is a good idea to try to 'auto-load' a css. The css
is used in a layout, but it's up to the user to specify which layout
or layouts she wants to use your plugin in. Also, your css rules may
colide with someone else's code and if you auto-load it, it would be
very hard to catch and debug.

I would instead use your plugin's install.rb to move the css to public/
stylesheets, and include instructions on how to include the CSS in
layouts.

My $0.02.

On Mar 27, 3:51 am, Davide B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Davide B. (Guest)
on 2009-03-27 17:11
> I would instead use your plugin's install.rb to move the css to public/
> stylesheets, and include instructions on how to include the CSS in
> layouts.

You're definitely right here, and retrospectively it's quite obvious,
use install.rb and copy it.
Thanks for your suggestion,
Davide