Forum: Ruby Shipping a gem with jruby.jar

Juan Z. (Guest)
Is it possible to ship a gem with jruby.jar in a way that jruby
scripts can access the gem?  I'd like to do so in a way that doesn't
require installing either ruby or jruby.

BTW, googling variants of ruby, gem, and shipping produces useless
results.

Juan
Eric H. (Guest)
On Mar 26, 2009, at 13:13, Juan Z. wrote:
> Is it possible to ship a gem with jruby.jar in a way that jruby
> scripts can access the gem?  I'd like to do so in a way that doesn't
> require installing either ruby or jruby.

You need Ruby to install a gem via RubyGems, so I don't see how this
could possibly work.
Juan Z. (Guest)
On 26 mars 09, at 17:08, Eric H. wrote:

> On Mar 26, 2009, at 13:13, Juan Z. wrote:
>> Is it possible to ship a gem with jruby.jar in a way that jruby
>> scripts can access the gem?  I'd like to do so in a way that
>> doesn't require installing either ruby or jruby.
>
> You need Ruby to install a gem via RubyGems, so I don't see how
> this could possibly work.

So shipping a Ruby application that uses a gem is impossible?
Juan Z. (Guest)
On 26 mars 09, at 17:14, Juan Z. wrote:

> So shipping a Ruby application that uses a gem is impossible?

I wonder if it's possible to write a gem to jar converter.
Eric H. (Guest)
On Mar 26, 2009, at 14:14, Juan Z. wrote:
> On 26 mars 09, at 17:08, Eric H. wrote:
>> On Mar 26, 2009, at 13:13, Juan Z. wrote:
>>> Is it possible to ship a gem with jruby.jar in a way that jruby
>>> scripts can access the gem?  I'd like to do so in a way that
>>> doesn't require installing either ruby or jruby.
>>
>> You need Ruby to install a gem via RubyGems, so I don't see how
>> this could possibly work.
>
> So shipping a Ruby application that uses a gem is impossible?

You said that you want the gem to install without ruby or jruby.
Without a ruby interpreter, a gem won't install.

If you already have ruby or jruby, you can use a gem to ship an
application.
Nick S. (Guest)
On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 5:18 PM, Juan Z. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:

> I wonder if it's possible to write a gem to jar converter.

You may be interested in
http://blog.nicksieger.com/articles/2009/01/10/jru....
Feel free to hop over to the jruby lists if you want to continue the
discussion.

Cheers,
/Nick
Juan Z. (Guest)
On 26 mars 09, at 17:23, Eric H. wrote:

>> So shipping a Ruby application that uses a gem is impossible?
>

> You said that you want the gem to install without ruby or jruby.
> Without a ruby interpreter, a gem won't install.
>
> If you already have ruby or jruby, you can use a gem to ship an
> application.

Sorry for the confusion.  I don't want someone to have to separately
install Ruby or JRuby.   Since JRuby comes in a jar that isn't a
problem.   I can run a script using just using jruby.jar.   What I
don't know is how to get such a script to be able to access a gem.
Juan Z. (Guest)
On 26 mars 09, at 17:28, Nick S. wrote:

> Cheers,
> /Nick