Forum: JRuby Rails 2.3.2 and cache sweepers

Miika Leppänen (Guest)
Hello,

I'm updating project to use Rails 2.3.2 and JRuby 1.2.0.
What I have done so far is:

- updated jruby-complete-1.2.0.jar and latest version of jruby-rack
(last update 2009-02-26) to warbler/lib
- followed instructions in http://wiki.jruby.org/wiki/Rails_2.3.2
- added config.preload_frameworks = true to environment.rb

Looks like everything except cache sweepers are working. When deployed
to Tomcat and  trying to use controller that has cache_sweeper
defined, following error occurs:

NameError (uninitialized constant ActionController::Caching::Sweeper):
   gems/gems/activesupport-2.3.2/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:
440:in `load_missing_constant'

I found an issue about that
http://rails.lighthouseapp.com/projects/8994/tickets/1977

But the application works with MRI mongrel and JRuby WEBrick and fails
only with Tomcat.
And if I try to run it in production mode with sweeper enabled in
Tomcat, the application hangs when booting, tomcat takes 100% cpu and
runs out of memory while later.

I tried also with jruby-complete-1.1.6.jar and got the same error in
Tomcat.

Is anyone using cache and sweepers successfully with Rails 2.3.2 and
JRuby?

- Miika
Nick S. (Guest)
On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 8:47 AM, Miika Leppänen
<removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:
> NameError (uninitialized constant ActionController::Caching::Sweeper):
> I tried also with jruby-complete-1.1.6.jar and got the same error in Tomcat.
> Is anyone using cache and sweepers successfully with Rails 2.3.2 and JRuby?

Thanks for the report Miika. Would you mind filing an issue either in
JRuby's JIRA [1] or JRuby-Rack's JIRA [2]? This should be fixed for
the next version of JRuby-Rack, which I hope to release soon.

/Nick

[1] http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/JRUBY
[2] http://kenai.com/jira/browse/JRUBY_RACK

wrote:
> I found an issue about that
> http://rails.lighthouseapp.com/projects/8994/tickets/1977

Also, do any of the workarounds mentioned in this ticket fix the
problem for you?

/Nick

On 24.3.2009, at 16.27, Nick S. wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 8:47 AM, Miika Leppänen
>> I found an issue about that
>> http://rails.lighthouseapp.com/projects/8994/tickets/1977
>
> Also, do any of the workarounds mentioned in this ticket fix the
> problem for you?

Unfortunately they didn't help. I have only config... entries in the
initializer block. I'm not sure what else to try.

- Miika
On 24.3.2009, at 16.24, Nick S. wrote:

>> Looks like everything except cache sweepers are working. When
>> http://rails.lighthouseapp.com/projects/8994/tickets/1977
>> Is anyone using cache and sweepers successfully with Rails 2.3.2

Filed an issue http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/JRUBY-3523

- Miika