Forum: IronRuby Mspec errors. Where should I start contributing?

Adam Kahtava (Guest)
When running mspec (mspec -ci core\array\append) I get the following
error:
  \Libraries.LCA_RESTRICTED\Builtis\FileOps.cs:524:in `ExpandPath':
Invalid
argument - ~/.mspecrc (Errno::EINVAL)

Should I be getting this error? How can I resolve this?

I'd like to contribute. Where should I start? Should I be pulling items
from
the bug list:
http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?func=browse&group_id...

Thanks in advance,

- Adam
Shri B. (Guest)
There should be no hyphen before "ci". However, using your command
(mspec -ci core\array\append) gives me a different error message saying
"Unrecognized option: -ci". So that may or may not be the same issue you
are seeing. Can you try running this : Unrecognized option: mspec ci
core\array\append? Also, the following which will run with MRI and give
you a baseline assuming you have ruby.exe on the path: mspec ci -tr
core\array\append.

We are going to try to have better recommendations for contributions in
the next week or so.
http://wiki.github.com/ironruby/ironruby/contributing should have this
info, but it currently does not. For now, do you want to take a shot at
fixing the tags in
http://github.com/ironruby/ironruby/blob/cd988456f...?
Would be great to get your first commit in, even if it's a tiny bug fix,
so we know that the contributing process does not have glitches. And in
parallel, we can determine the best areas for you to contribute in.

Btw, if you missed my previous email,
http://wiki.github.com/ironruby/ironruby should have all the information
to build and run tests with IronRuby. Let us know if there is anything
missing there.

Thanks,
Shri

When running mspec (mspec -ci core\array\append) I get the following
error:
  \Libraries.LCA_RESTRICTED\Builtis\FileOps.cs:524:in `ExpandPath':
Invalid argument - ~/.mspecrc (Errno::EINVAL)

Should I be getting this error? How can I resolve this?

I'd like to contribute. Where should I start? Should I be pulling items
from the bug list:
http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?func=browse&group_id...

Thanks in advance,

- Adam
Jim D. (Guest)
So it looks like there are 2 issues here. One is the immediate issue:
You don't have %HOME% set, which is why this error occurs. Underneath
that there is a real issue: IronRuby isn't searching for a %HOME%
replacement in the same way that Ruby does. Ruby can find ~ even if
HOME, HOMEDRIVE, HOMEPATH, and USERPROFILE are all unset. I'm not sure
what algorithm they use at that point.

So to contribute:

1)      We need you to follow the steps at
http://wiki.github.com/ironruby/ironruby/contributing, especially the
portion about signing the agreement

2)      If you want to fix this error (which is going to be resolved in
the path referenced below), go for it, then send IronRuby a pull request
on Github. I'll pull your changes in.

3)      If you want to work on something else, feel free to grab a bug
from RubyForge from the Triaged category after Tomas adds some more
(Tomas, can you add more bugs to that category :))

a.       Or, like Shri suggested in the other thread, choose a tag file
and fix all the tags

Let us know if you have any questions!

JD

When running mspec (mspec -ci core\array\append) I get the following
error:
  \Libraries.LCA_RESTRICTED\Builtis\FileOps.cs:524:in `ExpandPath':
Invalid argument - ~/.mspecrc (Errno::EINVAL)

Should I be getting this error? How can I resolve this?

I'd like to contribute. Where should I start? Should I be pulling items
from the bug list:
http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?func=browse&group_id...

Thanks in advance,

- Adam
Jim D. (Guest)
Correction this was wrong. IRB isn't using Powershell's env variables,
so when I unset all of those variables, Ruby still had them set. My bad.

JD

When running mspec (mspec -ci core\array\append) I get the following
error:
  \Libraries.LCA_RESTRICTED\Builtis\FileOps.cs:524:in `ExpandPath':
Invalid argument - ~/.mspecrc (Errno::EINVAL)

Should I be getting this error? How can I resolve this?

I'd like to contribute. Where should I start? Should I be pulling items
from the bug list:
http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?func=browse&group_id...

Thanks in advance,

- Adam
Shri B. (Guest)
I will fix File.expand_path to throw ArgumentException. I will also fix
dev.bat to set HOME if it is not already set.

I still don't know why "mspec ci" runs to completion (without running
any examples) for me even if HOME is not set, and throws for Adam. Oh
well. Its not really important as HOME really needs to be set so that
mspec actually runs the examples. I think we have drilled in enough...