Forum: Ruby on Rails Rake goes crazy on me!

Power O. (Guest)
on 2009-03-23 08:06
OK, so I used ./scripts/generate to generate a model, and then I entered
the db/migrate/ and edit 001xxxx.rb so I can populated the database.
After I entered some ruby code to have the file 001xxx.rb to generate
some columns for table in db later, then I do rake1.9 db:migrate to
generate table and columns.

Instead of getting the task to be carried out, rake complained:

rake1.9 db:migrate
(in /home/powerone/My_Rails_01/myapplication)
Missing the Rails 2.3.2 gem. Please `gem install -v=2.3.2 rails`, update
your RAILS_GEM_VERSION setting in config/environment.rb for the Rails
version you do have installed, or comment out RAILS_GEM_VERSION to use
the latest version installed.

I went into config/environment.rb and saw that RAILS_GEM_VERSION is
indeed has 2.3.2 as parameter.

I do rails -v and got Rails 2.3.2 at the prompt

Then I went to do sudo gem1.8 update --system and got response as
nothing to be update.

I went back and do rake1.9 db:migrate, and I got the same error.

I even do rake1.9 -T and got the same error.

I did rake1.9 --help and it works by showing help commands.

Then I did rake1.9 -V and got back as "rake, version 0.8.0"

How do I get my rake right so I can do rake db:migrate and other rake's
tasks?

It seems that rake1.9 is misleading because when I did rake1.9 -V and I
got back as rake version 0.8.0.  Is this the real problem?  And how do I
fix it?  Thanks...
Power O. (Guest)
on 2009-03-23 08:19
By the way when I googled for this, I got no answer.  Maybe I'm just not
good with googling for ruby :(.  I'm pretty sure I got what I want from
a genius "Google" for other stuffs though, but not this time around!

Any help will make my day!  :) Thanks...

Going to sleep for now, peace out! hehehe

Power O. wrote:
> OK, so I used ./scripts/generate to generate a model, and then I entered
> the db/migrate/ and edit 001xxxx.rb so I can populated the database.
> After I entered some ruby code to have the file 001xxx.rb to generate
> some columns for table in db later, then I do rake1.9 db:migrate to
> generate table and columns.
>
> Instead of getting the task to be carried out, rake complained:
>
> rake1.9 db:migrate
> (in /home/powerone/My_Rails_01/myapplication)
> Missing the Rails 2.3.2 gem. Please `gem install -v=2.3.2 rails`, update
> your RAILS_GEM_VERSION setting in config/environment.rb for the Rails
> version you do have installed, or comment out RAILS_GEM_VERSION to use
> the latest version installed.
>
> I went into config/environment.rb and saw that RAILS_GEM_VERSION is
> indeed has 2.3.2 as parameter.
>
> I do rails -v and got Rails 2.3.2 at the prompt
>
> Then I went to do sudo gem1.8 update --system and got response as
> nothing to be update.
>
> I went back and do rake1.9 db:migrate, and I got the same error.
>
> I even do rake1.9 -T and got the same error.
>
> I did rake1.9 --help and it works by showing help commands.
>
> Then I did rake1.9 -V and got back as "rake, version 0.8.0"
>
> How do I get my rake right so I can do rake db:migrate and other rake's
> tasks?
>
> It seems that rake1.9 is misleading because when I did rake1.9 -V and I
> got back as rake version 0.8.0.  Is this the real problem?  And how do I
> fix it?  Thanks...
Rob B. (Guest)
On Mar 23, 2009, at 2:19 AM, Power O. wrote:
> Power O. wrote:
>> (in /home/powerone/My_Rails_01/myapplication)
>> I do rails -v and got Rails 2.3.2 at the prompt
>> Then I did rake1.9 -V and got back as "rake, version 0.8.0"
>>
>> How do I get my rake right so I can do rake db:migrate and other
>> rake's
>> tasks?
>>
>> It seems that rake1.9 is misleading because when I did rake1.9 -V
>> and I
>> got back as rake version 0.8.0.  Is this the real problem?  And how
>> do I
>> fix it?  Thanks...

You're using two different versions of things. Try rake1.8 db:migrate
or gem1.9 list

Or perhaps compare:
   gem1.8 env
   gem1.9 env
Particularly the RUBY VERSION and the GEM PATHS and I think you'll see
the problem.

-Rob

Rob B.    http://agileconsultingllc.com
removed_email_address@domain.invalid