Forum: Ruby nokogiri 1.2.3 Released

Aaron P. (Guest)
nokogiri version 1.2.3 has been released!

* <http://nokogiri.rubyforge.org/>
* <http://github.com/tenderlove/nokogiri/wikis>
* <http://github.com/tenderlove/nokogiri/tree/master>
* <http://nokogiri.lighthouseapp.com/projects/19607-n...

Nokogiri (鋸) is an HTML, XML, SAX, and Reader parser.

Changes:

### 1.2.3 / 2009-03-22

* Bugfixes

  * Fixing bug where a node is passed in to Node#new
  * Namespace should be assigned on DocumentFragment creation. LH #66
  * Nokogiri::XML::NodeSet#dup works GH #10
  * Nokogiri::HTML returns an empty Document when given a blank string
GH#11
  * Adding a child will remove duplicate namespace declarations LH #67
  * Builder methods take a hash as a second argument

## FEATURES:

* XPath support for document searching
* CSS3 selector support for document searching
* XML/HTML builder
* Drop in replacement for Hpricot (though not bug for bug)

Nokogiri parses and searches XML/HTML very quickly, and also has
correctly implemented CSS3 selector support as well as XPath support.

Here is a speed test:

  * http://gist.github.com/24605

Nokogiri also features an Hpricot compatibility layer to help ease the
change
to using correct CSS and XPath.

## SUPPORT:

The Nokogiri mailing list is available here:

The bug tracker is available here:

  * http://nokogiri.lighthouseapp.com/projects/19607-n...

## SYNOPSIS:

  require 'nokogiri'
  require 'open-uri'

  # Get a Nokogiri::HTML:Document for the page we’re interested in...

  doc =
Nokogiri::HTML(open('http://www.google.com/search?q=tenderlove'))

  # Do funky things with it using Nokogiri::XML::Node methods...

  ####
  # Search for nodes by css
  doc.css('h3.r a.l').each do |link|
    puts link.content
  end

  ####
  # Search for nodes by xpath
  doc.xpath('//h3/a[@class="l"]').each do |link|
    puts link.content
  end

  ####
  # Or mix and match.
  doc.search('h3.r a.l', '//h3/a[@class="l"]').each do |link|
    puts link.content
  end

## REQUIREMENTS:

* ruby 1.8 or 1.9
* libxml2
* libxml2-dev
* libxslt
* libxslt-dev

## INSTALL:

* sudo gem install nokogiri

* <http://nokogiri.rubyforge.org/>
* <http://github.com/tenderlove/nokogiri/wikis>
* <http://github.com/tenderlove/nokogiri/tree/master>
* <http://nokogiri.lighthouseapp.com/projects/19607-n...
Philip R. (Guest)
When I do "gem install nokogiri" I get:

ERROR:  Error installing nokogiri:

/usr/bin/ruby extconf.rb install nokogiri
checking for #include <iconv.h>
... yes
checking for #include <libxml/parser.h>
... no
libxml2 is missing.  try 'port install libxml2' or 'yum install libxml2'

but when I try and do "yum install libxml2" I get:

Package libxml2-2.7.3-1.fc10.i386 already installed and latest version

How can I fix this?

Thanks,

Phil.

--
Philip R.

GPO Box 3411
Sydney NSW  2001
Australia
E-mail:  removed_email_address@domain.invalid
Dick D. (Guest)
On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 9:36 AM, Philip R.
wrote:
> ... no
> libxml2 is missing.  try 'port install libxml2' or 'yum install libxml2'
>
> but when I try and do "yum install libxml2" I get:

yum install libxml2-devel ?

(yay redhat)
Philip R. (Guest)
Dick,

Dick D. wrote:
>> checking for #include <libxml/parser.h>
>> ... no
>> libxml2 is missing.  try 'port install libxml2' or 'yum install libxml2'
>>
>> but when I try and do "yum install libxml2" I get:
>
> yum install libxml2-devel ?

Yep, had to do libxslt-devel as well but looks good - Thanks!

Phil.

--
Philip R.

GPO Box 3411
Sydney NSW  2001
Australia
E-mail:  removed_email_address@domain.invalid
Ara H. (Guest)
On Mar 22, 2009, at 9:51 PM, Aaron P. wrote:

>  * Builder methods take a hash as a second argument

can builder generate nodes like <type>  yet?

a @ http://codeforpeople.com/
Aaron P. (Guest)
On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 04:29:47AM +0900, ara.t.howard wrote:

> On Mar 22, 2009, at 9:51 PM, Aaron P. wrote:
>
>>  * Builder methods take a hash as a second argument
>
> can builder generate nodes like <type>  yet?

It's possible, just not easy.  ;-)

I'm working on it.
Ara H. (Guest)
On Mar 23, 2009, at 3:42 PM, Aaron P. wrote:

> It's possible, just not easy.  ;-)
>
> I'm working on it.

have a look at this

   http://codeforpeople.rubyforge.org/svn/tagz/trunk/

it avoids completes the method missing issues, allows mixing in, and
even supports conditional escaping for factoring out xml/html partials.

i'm using nokogiri for reading now, but tagz for writing

cheers.

a @ http://codeforpeople.com/