Forum: Ruby on Rails Structuring a find that looks at the first letter of a field

Robert S. (Guest)
on 2009-03-21 10:01
I guess the subject is fairly self-explanatory. I'm pretty new to RoR,
but I'd like to learn how to structure a find that looks at the first
character of a field, say firstname, to find those that match a
parameter passed in to the controller.

Hopefully it's not too difficult. :/
Thanks in advance.
(Guest)
On 21 Mar., 09:01, Robert S. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:
> I guess the subject is fairly self-explanatory. I'm pretty new to RoR,
> but I'd like to learn how to structure a find that looks at the first
> character of a field, say firstname, to find those that match a
> parameter passed in to the controller.
>
> Hopefully it's not too difficult. :/
> Thanks in advance.

@person = Person,find(:all, :conditions => ["firstname LIKE ?%", params
[:letter]]

The question mark is replaced with params[:letter]. There is plenty of
material on the LIKE keyword on the internet, so if you don't know
what it does, go ahead and do some research.

--
Cheers,
David K.