Forum: Ruby on Rails Display XML as text

Sudhi K. (Guest)
on 2009-03-20 16:44
I have question regarding render :text ... I read the conten of XML file
and display it using render :text ... but the content only is shown and
not the entire xml file ... How do I get the xml file display as xml
file in the output?

to state with an example the problem I have if the xml is
<animal>dog</animal> and I use render :text then output is only dog... I
want to output entire <animal>dog</animal>

Need help

Regards,
Sudhindra
Hubert L. (Guest)

are you sure that this is real output? Try using wget or curl to see
what real output is. Or maybe look into page source? (Ctrl + V on
firefox). It might be that your browser is not displaying xml tags
just ignoring them, and displays only what's inside.

Best,

On 20 Mar, 15:44, Sudhi K. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Hassan S. (Guest)
On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 7:44 AM, Sudhi K.

> to state with an example the problem I have if the xml is
> <animal>dog</animal> and I use render :text then output is only dog... I
> want to output entire <animal>dog</animal>

You need to escape the angle brackets, e.g.

<% @xml = "<animal>dog</animal>" %>

<%=h @xml %>

Try the above with and without the 'h'.

Sheryl B. (Guest)
Why don't you use the render :xml?

Rendering XML

Rendering XML sets the content type to application/xml.

  # Renders '<name>David</name>'
  render :xml => {:name => "David"}.to_xml

 It‘s not necessary to
call<http://api.rubyonrails.org/classes/ActionControlle...
to_xml on the object you want to
render<http://api.rubyonrails.org/classes/ActionControlle...,
since
render<http://api.rubyonrails.org/classes/ActionControlle...
automatically do that for you:

  # Also renders '<name>David</name>'
  render :xml => {:name => "David"}

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 12:07 PM, Hassan S. <