Forum: Ruby on Rails Rails 2.3 Upgrade Issue with MemCache

TomRossi7 (Guest)
One of the plugins I use is Workling.  It throws the following error
when I try to run it under 2.3:

/Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.3.2/lib/active_support/
dependencies.rb:443:in `load_missing_constant': uninitialized constant
MemCache (NameError)

The offending line is:

      @@memcache_client_class ||= ::MemCache

I don't know a lot about memcache, so I'm not sure what changed with
2.3 that could cause the error.  Anyone have some ideas?

Thanks!
Tom
Freddy A. (Guest)
I'm not sure why this happens, BUT in rails 2.3.2 you have to wrap
your Workling loader a after_init like so:

config.after_initialize do
  Workling::Remote.dispatcher =
Workling::Remote::Runners::StarlingRunner.new
end
Steve O. (Guest)
I'm having the same issue as Tom, but I'm not using Starling. I'm
using spawn. I don't have anything in an initializer to wrap in a
after_initialize.

Any ideas how to get workling to work in 2.3?

Steve
tomrossi7 (Guest)
Steve,

Try throwing require 'memcache' in your environment.rb?  I think that
is how I finally got around it...

Thanks,
Tom
Steve O. (Guest)
Thanks Tom. The crappy part is I'm not using memcache for anything at
the moment.

Steve
tomrossi7 (Guest)
Ugh.  But did it solve the problem?
Steve O. (Guest)
Unfortunately it didn't solve the problem. I guess I could switch over
to starling and that might solve it.
tomrossi7 (Guest)
Steve,

I put a debugger statement in the plugin to figure out the problem.
The error is definitely telling you that memcache hasn't been loaded.
You may need to move that require 'memcache' statement around to make
sure it is loading.  Let me know what you find...

Thanks,
Tom
Arzumy MD (Guest)
Hi guys,

I got the same problem this morning. workling throws memcache error on
2.3
Found out that after_init solution works. And if you are using
workling + spawner, these lines work fine with me

config.after_initialize do
   Workling::Remote::Runners::SpawnRunner.options = { :method
=> :spawn }
   Workling::Remote.dispatcher =
Workling::Remote::Runners::SpawnRunner.new
end

Cheers!
Aaron G. (Guest)
on 2009-08-10 17:32
I was having the same problem. I use NotRemoteRunner in dev mode and
StarlingRunner in production right now. I found that putting the
following code in development.rb solved my problem:

config.after_initialize do
  Workling::Remote.dispatcher =
Workling::Remote::Runners::NotRemoteRunner.new
end

Thanks!

-ajg-