Forum: Ruby on Rails Reporting with Rails

Fidel V. (Guest)
Hi all,

I was wondering how you guys generate reports from rails. I want to
generate business reports in pdf format, and was wondering what you
guys use. I have searched the web and found Ruport, but there isn't
much documentation or examples of real world business reports like
jasperreports, for instance. Is it possible to generate good looking
business reports with ruport? What other report generation plugis are
there for rails?

Thanks in advance,

Fidel.
Peter De Berdt (Guest)
On 20 Mar 2009, at 13:42, Fidel V. wrote:

> I was wondering how you guys generate reports from rails. I want to
> generate business reports in pdf format, and was wondering what you
> guys use. I have searched the web and found Ruport, but there isn't
> much documentation or examples of real world business reports like
> jasperreports, for instance. Is it possible to generate good looking
> business reports with ruport? What other report generation plugis are
> there for rails?

If price is not an issue, you could use PrinceXML to generate PDFs
from XHTML+CSS. The result is great.

http://www.intridea.com/2007/12/20/announcing-prin...
http://github.com/mbleigh/princely/tree/master

Best regards

Peter De Berdt
Fidel V. (Guest)
HI Peter,

Thanks for the reply.

I have had a look at the link, and it is quite an interesting product.
I don't really mind if it is commercial or free, but what I am after
is something like an API as opposed to a third-party software that I
call from ruby.

But, I will give it a try and see how it works.

Thanks once again.

Fidel.

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 4:33 PM, Peter De Berdt
Lee S. (Guest)
on 2009-03-20 18:04
Prawn and Prawnto combo offer some nice PDF generation functionality as
well.

http://railscasts.com/episodes/153-pdfs-with-prawn
http://prawn.majesticseacreature.com/
http://www.cracklabs.com/prawnto
Fidel V. (Guest)
On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 5:04 PM, Lee S.

> Prawn and Prawnto combo offer some nice PDF generation functionality as
> well.
>
> http://railscasts.com/episodes/153-pdfs-with-prawn
> http://prawn.majesticseacreature.com/
> http://www.cracklabs.com/prawnto
> --

Thanks for the pointers Lee. I will look into those.

Fidel.