Forum: Ruby no such file to load -- popup

Aravind K. (Guest)
on 2009-03-20 10:43
Hi ,
 i am newbie and i'm trying to open a popup from a ruby code which
requires popup.rb. when i run the code it says "no such file to load --
popup" .I tried to download for this for ruby source file , but din't
find any. Please help me with this.

Cheerio,
Arvin
Robert H. (Guest)
on 2009-03-20 11:41
> "no such file to load -- popup"

What is popup.rb? Or from where did you get it, or which code requires
it?
Aravind K. (Guest)
on 2009-03-20 11:52
Marc H. wrote:
>> "no such file to load -- popup"
>
> What is popup.rb? Or from where did you get it, or which code requires
> it?

hi,

please check the code below, which needs the Popup library

require 'Popup'

 Popup.make do
   h1 "Things To Do"
   list do
     p "Try out Ruby"
     p "Ride a tiger"
     p "(down River Euphrates)"

Cheerio,
Arvin
Vikhyat K. (Guest)
on 2009-03-20 14:43
Aravind K. wrote:
> Marc H. wrote:
>>> "no such file to load -- popup"
>>
>> What is popup.rb? Or from where did you get it, or which code requires
>> it?
>

> hi,
>
> please check the code below, which needs the Popup library
>
> require 'Popup'
>
>  Popup.make do
>    h1 "Things To Do"
>    list do
>      p "Try out Ruby"
>      p "Ride a tiger"
>      p "(down River Euphrates)"
>    end
>  end
>
> Cheerio,
> Arvin

It could be because of the capitalization. Try replacing that require
with this:
require 'popup'
Aravind K. (Guest)
on 2009-03-20 16:09
Vikhyat K. wrote:
> Aravind K. wrote:
>>>
>>> What is popup.rb? Or from where did you get it, or which code requires
>>> it?
>>

>> hi,
>>
>> please check the code below, which needs the Popup library
>>
>> require 'Popup'
>>
>>  Popup.make do
>>    h1 "Things To Do"
>>    list do
>>      p "Try out Ruby"
>>      p "Ride a tiger"
>>      p "(down River Euphrates)"
>>    end
>>  end
>>
>> Cheerio,
>> Arvin
>
> It could be because of the capitalization. Try replacing that require
> with this:
> require 'popup'

i tried capitalizing also.. it's still not working

Cheerio,
Arvin
Adam G. (Guest)
on 2009-03-20 17:27
Aravind K. wrote:
> Hi ,
>  i am newbie and i'm trying to open a popup from a ruby code which
> requires popup.rb. when i run the code it says "no such file to load --
> popup" .I tried to download for this for ruby source file , but din't
> find any. Please help me with this.
>
> Cheerio,
> Arvin

The code you are referring to is part of the "Try Ruby" web app [1], and
as far as I know has no function outside of that app. It certainly is
not part of the Ruby standard library. It is (to the best of my
knowledge) intended as a learning exercise, not an library you use to
build other applications.

Hope this helps,
- Adam G.

[1] http://tryruby.hobix.com/
Aravind K. (Guest)
on 2009-03-20 17:35
Adam G. wrote:
> Aravind K. wrote:
>> Hi ,
>>  i am newbie and i'm trying to open a popup from a ruby code which
>> requires popup.rb. when i run the code it says "no such file to load --
>> popup" .I tried to download for this for ruby source file , but din't
>> find any. Please help me with this.
>>
>> Cheerio,
>> Arvin
>
> The code you are referring to is part of the "Try Ruby" web app [1], and
> as far as I know has no function outside of that app. It certainly is
> not part of the Ruby standard library. It is (to the best of my
> knowledge) intended as a learning exercise, not an library you use to
> build other applications.
>
> Hope this helps,
> - Adam G.
>
> [1] http://tryruby.hobix.com/

hi , thanks for the reply.

I din't know this . :)
Is there a way to open a popup using ruby?

Cheerio,
Arvin
Adam G. (Guest)
on 2009-03-20 18:09
> hi , thanks for the reply.
>
> I din't know this . :)
> Is there a way to open a popup using ruby?
>
> Cheerio,
> Arvin

Yes, but how you do it depends on what 'platform' you're working with.
If you're platform is the web, then I'm sure there are many, many ways,
but I don't know them 'cause that's not what I use Ruby for. I'm sure
other could help you out there.

If you're doing a desktop application, there are numerous ways to do it.
They range from simple, lightweight systems like Shoes [1] to full
fledged GUI toolkits like WxRuby [2]  or Ruby-GNOME [3], and plenty of
more specialized ones like Gosu [4] (which is game-design oriented).

Some alternative interpreters like JRuby [5] and MacRuby [6] provide
their own methods for making windows, appropriate to the platforms they
are targeting (the JVM and the OS X Objective-C runtime, respectively).

It's hard for me to make a recommendation on one of these, as I've only
used a few of them (and there are others I haven't listed, besides). If
you're just playing around, Shoes is a great place to start. Otherwise,
it might help to have more information about what sort of 'popup' you're
trying to make.

Hope this helps,
- Adam

[1] http://shoooes.net/