Forum: Ferret Crawler for Ferret

Huang, Zijian(Victor) (Guest)
Hi, guys:
    Can you please recommend a good crawler for Ferret? Nutch is pretty
powerful in the Java side, do we have some thing is similar in Ruby? It
will be great if the crawler also handlers incremental index update
easily.

Thanks

Victor
Jens Krämer (Guest)
On 19.03.2009, at 22:32, Huang, Zijian(Victor) wrote:

> Hi, guys:
>     Can you please recommend a good crawler for Ferret? Nutch is
> pretty powerful in the Java side, do we have some thing is similar
> in Ruby? It will be great if the crawler also handlers incremental
> index update easily.

RDig can do http crawling, but cannot really be compared with Nutch
feature- and performance wise as it was designed for intranet use, say
indexing the web pages of a few hosts.

Cheers,
Jens

--
Jens Krämer
webit! Gesellschaft für neue Medien mbH

Amtsgericht Dresden | HRB 15422
GF Sven Haubold
Timothy G. (Guest)
I wrote one called Suckr.

http://goddard.net.nz/projects/suckr/

It does the crawling, including incremental update and provides a
command line
search interface. I've had some periodic stability issues with this on
the old
Debian box I've been using it on myself - please test thoroughly.

It has some documentation in the README file. Please let me know if you
have
any questions.

Cheers,

Tim
Hugh S. (Guest)
On Thu, 19 Mar 2009, Huang, Zijian(Victor) wrote:

> Hi, guys:
>     Can you please recommend a good crawler for Ferret? Nutch is pretty
> powerful in the Java side, do we have some thing is similar in Ruby? It
> will be great if the crawler also handlers incremental index update
> easily.

And then this shows up in my news feeds:

http://www.rubyinside.com/building-a-search-engine...

I've not followed the links off it, though, so YMMV.

> Thanks
>
> Victor

        Hugh