Forum: Ferret Indexing the local file system

Huang, Zijian(Victor) (Guest)
Hi, all:
    I am new to Ferret, can anyone please tell me what do I do to index
some text files in a local directory?

Thanks

Victor
Hugh S. (Guest)
On Thu, 19 Mar 2009, Huang, Zijian(Victor) wrote:

> Hi, all:
>     I am new to Ferret, can anyone please tell me what do I do to index
> some text files in a local directory?

I got started with the book (not to hand) and modifying some code, which
I then put here:
http://www.cse.dmu.ac.uk/~hgs/ruby/#ff.rb

Hopefully that will do most of what you want.

> Thanks
>
> Victor

        Hugh
Jens K. (Guest)
Hi!

On 19.03.2009, at 19:12, Huang, Zijian(Victor) wrote:
> Hi, all:
>     I am new to Ferret, can anyone please tell me what do I do to
> index some text files in a local directory?

Have a look at either RDig (rdig.rubyforge.org) or the FerretFinder
project (http://www.methods.co.nz/ff/) - each of these projects do
what you want (and are open source).

Or, even better, get the Ferret Book (available as PDF or in Print
from O'Reilly) for a complete reference including many examples (afair
there's also an example that deals with indexing files).

Basically it boils down to

- create new ferret index
- for each file:
   - get textual content (involves conversion from pdf, word or
whatever file format to plain text)
   - create ferret document with textual content and filename
   - add ferret document to ferret index
- close ferret index

Cheers,
Jens

--
Jens Krämer
Finkenlust 14, 06449 Aschersleben, Germany

Vic