Forum: Ruby Installing Ruby and Ruby Gems in a USB Flash Stick

Ruby S. (Guest)
Hello team,

Had anyone installed Ruby in a USB Flash Stick?
I installed 1.9.1 using the vxRuby installer, which installs ruby and
wxruby, in my 64GB USB memory stick.
This created the following issues:

   1. When I run it from a machine that already has ruby installed, I
don't
   know from where ruby is running.
   2. When I try to install any gem, it actuall go to the C-Drive
instead of
   my USB stick. I noticed that you can tell gem where to install gems,
but it
   is not clear to me.

F:\>gem help install
Usage: gem install GEMNAME [GEMNAME ...] [options] -- --build-flags
[options]
    -i, --install-dir DIR            Gem repository directory to get
installed gems
    -n, --bindir DIR                 Directory where binary files are
located

For example, since in my case for this period of time my USB is drive F,
thought that this would work, and it does...kind of:

*F:\>gem install ezcrypto -i  F:\ruby\lib\ruby\gems\1.9.1\gems
*Successfully installed ezcrypto-0.7.2
1 gem installed
Installing ri documentation for ezcrypto-0.7.2...
Installing RDoc documentation for ezcrypto-0.7.2...
*ERROR:  While executing gem ... (TypeError)
    can't convert Pathname into String*

This installs the gem but in the folder specified, but it does not
creates a
dir for the gem. It puts all the files in
*F:\ruby\lib\ruby\gems\1.9.1\gems.
*
I was expecting something like:
*F:\ruby\lib\ruby\gems\1.9.1\gems\ezcrypto*

The other problem that you can see is installing the documentation. This
appears to be a known bug because it is happening on every machine where
installed 1.9.1. For now I am not too worry about it.

Comments from anyone will be appreciated.

Thank you
Alex F. (Guest)
Ruby S. wrote:

> Had anyone installed Ruby in a USB Flash Stick?

>    1. When I run it from a machine that already has ruby installed, I don't
>    know from where ruby is running.
>    2. When I try to install any gem, it actuall go to the C-Drive instead of
>    my USB stick. I noticed that you can tell gem where to install gems, but it
>    is not clear to me.

You should look into setting a PATH environment variable to tell the
system you're working on to look for the 'ruby' and 'gem' executables on
the USB stick, rather than on C:/ etc. Have a look at:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=path+environment

alex
Ruby S. (Guest)
On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 11:12 AM, Alex F.

>>   2. When I try to install any gem, it actuall go to the C-Drive instead
> http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=path+environment
>
> alex

Thanks Alex!