Forum: Ruby on Rails How to pass javascript variable value to a Session Variable in javascript

Shripad (Guest)
Hi all,

Can any one tell me, how can I Pass a  javascript variable value to a
ROR session variale in javascript.

Please help me out

Thanks,
Shripad
Starr H. (Guest)
> Can any one tell me, how can I Pass a  javascript variable value to a
> ROR session variale in javascript.

You can either:

1) Set a cookie in JS and have your rails app read the cookie. If you're
using not using DB-backed sessions, this may be sufficient. You may not
need to use rails' actual sessions mechanism.

2) Have your JS do an XHR request to a special controller action which
will save your data to the session.

--
Starr H.
Check out my Helpdesk RailsKit: http://railskits.com/helpdesk/

Thank u for ur nice reply.

I have done the first part what u have mentioned by using
"document.cookie".
I am new to XMLHttpRequest(XHR) will you please guide me a little more
on this with example.
I have following code written in javascript

var selObj = document.getElementById('zone');
      var i;
      var count = 0;
      for (i=0; i<selObj.options.length; i++) {
        if (selObj.options[i].selected) {
            selectedArray[count] = selObj.options[i].value;
            count++;
        }
      }
      document.cookie="zone_ids=" + selectedArray.toString();
       var r = document.cookie;

    I want to pass this cookie value to my account controller method
say "add"

          And after passing how can I access it in the controller?

I am googleing for the same but don't find good materials.
Please help me out

Thanks and Regards,
Shripad