Forum: RSpec Basic help

Raveendran .. (Guest)
on 2009-03-19 11:28
Hi All,

1. Just now I installed rspec1.2.0 and dependencies

2. Tried the 2 programs mentioned in http://rspec.info/.

# bowling_spec.rb
require 'bowling'

describe Bowling do
  before(:each) do
    @bowling = Bowling.new
  end

  it "should score 0 for gutter game" do
    20.times { @bowling.hit(0) }
    @bowling.score.should == 0

# bowling.rb
class Bowling
  def hit(pins)
  end

  def score
    0

3. Run the bowling_spec.rb file

>ruby bowling_spec.rb --format specdoc

4. getting error like

bowling_spec.rb:6: undefined method `describe' for main:Object
(NoMethodError)

5. So i tried to add these lines,

require 'rspec' --> no Such file to Load
require 'spec' -->  No Error But also no output mentioned as per that
website.

Please anyone help to continue that program.

Regards,
P.Raveendran
http://raveendran.wordpress.com
David C. (Guest)
On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 4:28 AM, jazzez ravi
<removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:
>  before(:each) do
> class Bowling
>
>>ruby bowling_spec.rb --format specdoc

Use the spec command (that's what's there on http://rspec.info):

spec bowling_spec.rb --format specdoc

Cheers,
David
Zach D. (Guest)
On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 5:28 AM, jazzez ravi
wrote:
>  before(:each) do
> class Bowling
>
> require 'spec' -->  No Error But also no output mentioned as per that
> website.
>
> Please anyone help to continue that program.

Try to put this at the top:

require 'rubygems'
require 'spec'

I have an environment variable set to always load rubygems on my
system so I can omit the require of it explicitly in code:

RUBYOPTS=-rubygems

--
Zach D.
http://www.continuousthinking.com
David C. wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 4:28 AM, jazzez ravi <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
> wrote:
>> �before(:each) do
>> class Bowling
>>
>>>ruby bowling_spec.rb --format specdoc
>
> Use the spec command (that's what's there on http://rspec.info):
>
> spec bowling_spec.rb --format specdoc
>
> Cheers,
> David

Hi David,

spec bowling_spec.rb --format specdoc is working ..

Thank you

Regards,
P.Raveendran
http://raveendran.wordpress.com
Raveendran .. (Guest)
on 2009-03-20 05:57
Zach D. wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 5:28 AM, jazzez ravi <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
> wrote:
>> �before(:each) do
>> class Bowling
>>
>> require 'spec' --> �No Error But also no output mentioned as per that
>> website.
>>
>> Please anyone help to continue that program.
>
> Try to put this at the top:
>
> require 'rubygems'
> require 'spec'
>
> I have an environment variable set to always load rubygems on my
> system so I can omit the require of it explicitly in code:
>
> RUBYOPTS=-rubygems
>

> --
> Zach D.
> http://www.continuousthinking.com
> http://www.mutuallyhuman.com

Hi Zach,

I tried this one too. But the same error occurred.