Forum: Ruby on Rails ActiveRecord and SOAP

slava (Guest)
I need to get some of the data for my models from SOAP based services
and some from a rails db. I am relatively new to Rails and not sure
how to do it right.

class Product < ActiveRecord::Base   # products should be loaded
through a soap service from a 3rd party system
  belongs_to :product_group              # also loaded through a soap
service
  belongs_to :product_location           # this one is a local table
end

Product.find(params[:id])                 #should load data from both
soap service and local db

please suggest how this should be done. thank you.
Frederick C. (Guest)
On Mar 18, 8:42 pm, slava <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> Product.find(params[:id])                 #should load data from both
> soap service and local db

ActiveRecord can't do this. ActiveResource sort of does this for data
from appropriate RESTful apis, but it doesn't do associations. You'd
need to keep all of the data locally as far as I can tell.

Fred
slava (Guest)
I understand that ActiveRecord can't do this be default. But I need
this to work, so I will have to modify default behaviour. Please
suggest an appropriate route. Do I overwrite
find method? do I use something else entirely? I need this to work
dynamically.

thanks

On Mar 18, 3:10 pm, Frederick C. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>