Forum: Ruby on Rails Upload file without using file_field

Sudhi K. (Guest)

I wanted to have a textbox which would have the file name specified and
on submit in the controller I wanted to save this file on the server
file system. Any pointers would helpful.

Please note I do not want to use file_field since that does not match my
requirement...

My requirement is something like

<input>
upload c:\1.txt
upload c:\2.txt
</input>

Button Submit

On submit upload the 2 files to server

Thanks,
Sudhindra
James Cowlishaw (Guest)
Sudhi
Perhaps you can use hidden file_field and populate it with javascript
from
the text_field?

James.

2009/3/18 Sudhi K. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
MaD (Guest)
or you could parse the string inside that text_box and loop through
the several entries.
Sudhi K. (Guest)
on 2009-03-18 16:36
MaD wrote:
> or you could parse the string inside that text_box and loop through
> the several entries.

Hi,

Thanks for the inputs, but I am a newbie to ROR. I want to understand
what exactly happens in the background when I use a file_field? Is it
complex to have a file upload working without a file_field(Hidden
atleast)?

Regards,
Sudhindra
Matt J. (Guest)
So the user is typing in filenames directly? If that's the case, what
you're asking is impossible - and for very good reasons. Javascript
can't access client-side files; it can't even serialize file input
tags (thus the issues with AJAX submission of file fields).

--Matt J.

On Mar 18, 6:59 am, Sudhi K. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>