Forum: RSpec mock_model with Rspec/Rspec-rails 1.2 and Rails 2.3

Tom M. (Guest)

Not sure if anyone has faced this problem yet and managed to resolve
it... I understand Rspec 'decoupled' the mock frameworks, however it
works fine with Rails 2.2 but fails in 2.3...

Can anyone give me any pointers as to what changes are required in
spec_helper.rb to ensure mock_model methods are available?

Within console I can mock an object with the following:

require 'spec'
require 'spec/mocks'
require 'spec/mocks/mock.rb'
require 'spec/rails/mocks.rb'

include Spec
include Spec::Mocks
include Spec::Mocks::Methods
include Spec::Mocks::ExampleMethods
include Spec::Rails::Mocks

mock_model(User)
=> #<User:0x1c04c10 @name="User_1001">

However, within spec_helper.rb

require "erb"
ENV["RAILS_ENV"] = "test"
require File.expand_path(File.dirname(__FILE__) + "/../config/
environment")

require 'spec/autorun'
require 'spec/rails'
require 'spec/mocks'
require 'spec/mocks/mock.rb'
require 'spec/rails/mocks.rb'

Spec::Runner.configure do |config|
    config.include Spec::Mocks
    config.include Spec::Mocks::Methods
    config.include Spec::Mocks::ExampleMethods
    config.include Spec::Rails::Mocks

end

---

With the above settings when our specs run (while on rails 2.3 and
rspec 1.2), the following error occurs :

undefined method `mock_model=' for #<User:0x2d5887c>

Any pointers in the right direction would be much appreciated...

Best regards,

Tom
David C. (Guest)
2009/3/18 Tom M. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:
> Hi,
> Not sure if anyone has faced this problem yet and managed to resolve it... I
> understand Rspec 'decoupled' the mock frameworks, however it works fine with
> Rails 2.2 but fails in 2.3...

Why do you put decoupled in quotes? Are you mocking decoupling of
mocking?

> include Spec::Mocks
> require File.expand_path(File.dirname(__FILE__) + "/../config/environment")
>
> end
>

> ---
> With the above settings when our specs run (while on rails 2.3 and rspec
> 1.2), the following error occurs :
> undefined method `mock_model=' for #<User:0x2d5887c>

The error says "mock_model=", which indicates that you're trying to
set it somewhere in your code. Please show us the spec that is failing
with a reference to the line that is raising that error.

Thx
Pat M. (Guest)
On Mar 17, 2009, at 11:37 PM, David C. wrote:

> 2009/3/18 Tom M. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:
>>
>> With the above settings when our specs run (while on rails 2.3 and
>> rspec
>> 1.2), the following error occurs :
>> undefined method `mock_model=' for #<User:0x2d5887c>
>
> The error says "mock_model=", which indicates that you're trying to
> set it somewhere in your code. Please show us the spec that is failing
> with a reference to the line that is raising that error.

I think this would require him to do
self.mock_model = blah
or
send("mock_model=", blah)

which seems really, really weird.  Oh well.  Some code ought to clear
it up.

Pat