Git Push

Today’s git push includes the last set of changes to make things easier
for everyone developing from Git. It reintroduces MERLIN_ROOT, but
MERLIN_ROOT now comes with benefits.

We recommend you start your developing by running
C:\path\to\Merlin\Main\Languages\Ruby\Scripts\Dev.bat. This script sets
MERLIN_ROOT, based on its location in the tree and sets up a VS cmd
prompt. It also sets the following items in your path:

  •     Merlin\Main\Languages\Ruby\Scripts:

o Contains irtests.bat which starts up multiple command prompts with
MSpec and other tests in parallel

  •     Merlin\Main\Languages\Ruby\Scripts\bin:

o Contains the iscripts. Igem, irake, iirb, etc.

  •     Merlin\External\Languages\IronRuby\mspec\mspec\bin

o Contains the mspec scripts: mspec, mspec-ci, mspec-run, mspec-tag

Next this script sets up ~/.mspecrc, which just loads
Merlin\External\Languages\IronRuby\mspec\default.mspec to set IR as the
default implementation, and creates the following targets:

  •     :core

  •     :lang

  •     :lib

  •     :cli

  •     :interop

All of these can now be run via mspec ci -fs :core (for example), see
RubySpec’s wiki at http://rubyspec.org, or email me to learn more about
how to run it.

This script also uses doskey to setup Merlin\Main\Scripts\Bat\Alias.txt
which contains various aliases to make building and navigating the
folder structure easier.

We hope these changes make things easier when working on IronRuby from
the Git repository. I’m going to try to clean up my Powershell scripts
to allow Powershell to be used with these changes too. Until then, you
can run dev.bat, and then run powershell to get a Powershell prompt with
all of the env setups in place. We would also love to have someone
create a bash version of these scripts for those running in *nix land :slight_smile:

I have also updated the Github wiki with this information, and a
detailed description of how to run the specs. The spec documentation can
be found at http://wiki.github.com/ironruby/ironruby/rubyspec

JD