Forum: Ruby on Rails How to truncate a table from a rake file

Chris G. (Guest)
on 2009-03-17 21:36
I am new to rails and want to figure out the syntax for truncating a
table using a rake file. Any ideas? thanks in advance!
Conrad T. (Guest)
On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 12:36 PM, Chris G. <

> I am new to rails and want to figure out the syntax for truncating a
> table using a rake file. Any ideas? thanks in advance!

Hi, what do you mean truncate a table?  Do you mean delete the contents
of
the table or
delete the table?

-Conrad
Chris G. (Guest)
on 2009-03-17 21:58
Conrad T. wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 12:36 PM, Chris G. <
> removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>

>> I am new to rails and want to figure out the syntax for truncating a
>> table using a rake file. Any ideas? thanks in advance!
>

> Hi, what do you mean truncate a table?  Do you mean delete the contents
> of
> the table or
> delete the table?
>
> -Conrad

delete the contents of the table
Frederick C. (Guest)
On Mar 17, 7:58 pm, Chris G. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:
> > delete the table?
>
> > -Conrad
>
> delete the contents of the table

If you make your task depend on the magic :environment task then
activerecord will be loaded with your database configuration (and you
models etc.) and you can just do MyModel.connection.execute "..." as
you would have normally or just SomeModel.delete_all if you don't care
about the difference between truncate and deleting all rows.

Fred