Forum: Ruby on Rails Who are the ROR guru's on this board ?

Cwi T. (Guest)
  I am looking for the most knowledgeable ROR developers on this board.
In your opinion, who are the most knowledgeable and helpful users on
this board?

I am offering a free 1 year hosting account for development in exchange
for feedback on our setup.  We are trying to improve our setup and are
looking for a RoR developer to test it.

If your skilled in RoR development, and open to providing meaningful
feedback, please reply or point me in the right direction.
"Wolas!" (Guest)
my +1 goes to fred (cheung)

On Mar 17, 7:38 am, Cwi Tech guy <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Phlip (Guest)
"Wolas!" wrote:

> my +1 goes to fred (cheung)

He has a high volume on all the newb questions.

Worse, I use GMane, so he reliably beats me to them!

But seriously folks, the great thing about looking like a guru on this
forum is
you get to ignore questions you can't answer, and that makes you look
good. When
you sign up for a gig reviewing someone's server, you don't get that
luxury...
Frederick C. (Guest)
On 17 Mar 2009, at 12:24, Phlip wrote:

> But seriously folks, the great thing about looking like a guru on
> this forum is
> you get to ignore questions you can't answer, and that makes you
> look good. When
> you sign up for a gig reviewing someone's server, you don't get that
> luxury...

There's also a different knowledge set. THere's no guarantee that
people who know rails know the nitty gritty of load balancers, virtual
machines, SANs, etc. all of which are crucial ingredients in a good
hosting setup (I for one let the hosting people worry about that)

Fred
pepe (Guest)
Fred Cheung. Most helpful.

Pepe

On Mar 17, 2:38 am, Cwi Tech guy <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Matt J. (Guest)
I'm going to assume that you're with CWI Hosting, judging by your
posted name and a post I found on another webmaster board.

If so, some totally free advice:

- the market for RoR shared hosting is not very good; shared servers
just don't typically have the capacity to handle Rails sites with any
notable amount of traffic. Passenger helps, but its still not
preferred for most apps.

- your ToS doesn't specify how much memory FastCGI processes are
limited to. As a sometimes-customer of shared hosting, this is a red
flag. There's almost certainly a limit, and as a potential customer,
I'd like to know what it is...

- most modern Rails hosting is either managed (EngineYard, for
example: big $, but awesome support) or VPS (Slicehost being a popular
example). You might consider adding VPS plans to your lineup.

- finally, on a totally superficial note, whoever thought that
transparent menus over dark-colored content was a good idea should be
fired immediately. :) No, seriously - it looks terrible, and is hard
to read.

--Matt J.

On Mar 17, 2:38 am, Cwi Tech guy <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Marnen L. (Guest)
on 2009-03-18 18:14
Cwi Tech guy wrote:
> Hi,
>   I am looking for the most knowledgeable ROR developers on this board.
> In your opinion, who are the most knowledgeable and helpful users on
> this board?
[...]

Fred Cheung and Phlip, absolutely.  Robby R. as well.  But as
several people have said, someone who's knowledgeable about Rails may
not be qualified to tell you very much about your hosting setup.

Best,
--
Marnen Laibow-Koser
removed_email_address@domain.invalid
Phlip wrote:
> "Wolas!" wrote:
>
>> my +1 goes to fred (cheung)
>
> He has a high volume on all the newb questions.
>
> Worse, I use GMane, so he reliably beats me to them!
>
> But seriously folks, the great thing about looking like a guru on this
> forum is
> you get to ignore questions you can't answer, and that makes you look
> good. When
> you sign up for a gig reviewing someone's server, you don't get that
> luxury...

This is a very good point, the word "guru" will vary greatly in the eyes
of those titled as such.
Cwi T. (Guest)
on 2009-03-19 00:15
Frederick C. wrote:
> On 17 Mar 2009, at 12:24, Phlip wrote:
>>

>> But seriously folks, the great thing about looking like a guru on
>> this forum is
>> you get to ignore questions you can't answer, and that makes you
>> look good. When
>> you sign up for a gig reviewing someone's server, you don't get that
>> luxury...
>
> There's also a different knowledge set. THere's no guarantee that
> people who know rails know the nitty gritty of load balancers, virtual
> machines, SANs, etc. all of which are crucial ingredients in a good
> hosting setup (I for one let the hosting people worry about that)
>
> Fred

We would be looking for you to review rails from a performance
standpoint in the viewpoint of a customer.  We will worry about keeping
the servers stable and running.
Cwi T. (Guest)
on 2009-03-20 20:52
Matt J. wrote:
> I'm going to assume that you're with CWI Hosting, judging by your
> posted name and a post I found on another webmaster board.
>
> If so, some totally free advice:
>
> - the market for RoR shared hosting is not very good; shared servers
> just don't typically have the capacity to handle Rails sites with any
> notable amount of traffic. Passenger helps, but its still not
> preferred for most apps.
>
> - your ToS doesn't specify how much memory FastCGI processes are
> limited to. As a sometimes-customer of shared hosting, this is a red
> flag. There's almost certainly a limit, and as a potential customer,
> I'd like to know what it is...
>
> - most modern Rails hosting is either managed (EngineYard, for
> example: big $, but awesome support) or VPS (Slicehost being a popular
> example). You might consider adding VPS plans to your lineup.
>
> - finally, on a totally superficial note, whoever thought that
> transparent menus over dark-colored content was a good idea should be
> fired immediately. :) No, seriously - it looks terrible, and is hard
> to read.
>
> --Matt J.
>
> On Mar 17, 2:38�am, Cwi Tech guy <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>

Matt

  The advice is appreciated. CWI is building new servers, and a new
site, and is wanting feedback from users like you on the new setup and I
will be posting your feedback to CWI. The setups are based on both
shared hosting servers and some dedicated servers they have for around
$85. You seem a discerning consumer, is this something you would be
interested in ?
Cwi T. (Guest)
on 2009-03-26 20:08
Cwi Tech guy wrote:
> Hi,
>   I am looking for the most knowledgeable ROR developers on this board.
> In your opinion, who are the most knowledgeable and helpful users on
> this board?
>
> I am offering a free 1 year hosting account for development in exchange
> for feedback on our setup.  We are trying to improve our setup and are
> looking for a RoR developer to test it.
>
> If your skilled in RoR development, and open to providing meaningful
> feedback, please reply or point me in the right direction.

Fred, Ryan , Matt
  Would any of you be interested in this opportunity or can you point me
in the direction of someone who would be ?