Forum: Ruby on Rails Git branch with same content

Paul B. (Guest)
on 2009-03-16 21:06
I'm rather new to Git and trying to learn it.

I did a new branch. I switched over to the new branch by checkout. I
added some files and some code, directly in Textmate. But when I
switched back to my master branch the same new files are there too.
Isn't that wrong?
Colin L. (Guest)
Did you remember to commit the new files before switching back to
master?

2009/3/16 Pål Bergström <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Davi V. (Guest)
On 03/16/2009 04:34 PM, Colin L. wrote:
> Did you remember to commit the new files before switching back to master?

  What if I can't/don't want to commit now? Should I stage my files?

  Thanks,

davi
Colin L. (Guest)
Git has a magic command  'git stash'  that saves any uncommitted (no
need to
stage them) files without actually committing them. You can then switch
to a
different branch, or do anything else you like.  When you are ready to
carry
on go back to the branch (actually it doesn't have to be the same branch
if
you realised you were working on the wrong one) and use 'git stash
apply' to
get your work back.

2009/3/16 Davi V. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Bosko I. (Guest)
I'm not sure if you will be able to switch to old branch if you add
new files to index, but if you cannot commit files you can use git
stash. On the other hand you can commit them although you didn't
finish complete development since that commit will not disturb
anything until you publish your changes with git push. After you
finish development and perform series of commits to new branch you can
squash your commits into single commit and that's it. So there is no
reason not to commit new files on the development branch.
Paul B. (Guest)
on 2009-03-16 23:38
Colin L. wrote:
> Did you remember to commit the new files before switching back to
> master?
>
> 2009/3/16 Pål Bergström <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>

Yes I did. I used > git commit -a -v -m "message"

Then I did a checkout in order to returning to master branch.
Paul B. (Guest)
on 2009-03-17 00:06
Pål Bergström wrote:

> Yes I did. I used > git commit -a -v -m "message"
>
> Then I did a checkout in order to returning to master branch.

Sorry. Seems to work now. My bad. Must have been the cache function of
the server, which is a bit problematic in LiteSpeed Web Server (but
otherwise a great server).
Davi V. (Guest)
On 03/16/2009 05:10 PM, Bosko I. wrote:
> (...) On the other hand you can commit them (...) since that commit will
 > not disturb anything until you publish your changes with git push.
(...)
> (...) So there is no reason not to commit new files on the development branch.

  Yeah. I know. :-)
  Just a simple doubt that occurred to me. :-)

  But thank you very much, Colin and Bosko.

davi