Forum: RSpec 'Missing template' when using send_data to render response

Chris M. (Guest)
Hi there,
Just upgraded to Rails 2.3/RSpec 1.2.0, and I've got a controller that
uses
send_data to render a response. In the controller spec, I have:

controller.should_receive(:send_data).with(...)

The send_data method calls 'render' internally, but obviously when I
stub/mock out the send_data method this doesn't get called. So, with the
changes to controller/template isolation in 1.2.0, I now get a 'missing
template' error on this example as the controller tries to render the
default template.

Any suggestions to the best way to resolve this? My hunch is that it'll
need
an extension to RenderObserver in rspec-rails, but I'm struggling to do
the
right thing in my first foray into the RSpec source. Or maybe I
shouldn't be
mocking the send_data call at all, but rather then underlying render
call?

Many thanks,
Chris M.
David C. (Guest)
2009/3/16 Chris M. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:
> an extension to RenderObserver in rspec-rails, but I'm struggling to do the
> right thing in my first foray into the RSpec source. Or maybe I shouldn't be
> mocking the send_data call at all, but rather then underlying render call?

How about controller.stub!(:render) also? You want
should_receive(:send_data) because that's the spec, right?
Chris M. (Guest)
On 16 Mar 2009, at 13:28, David C. wrote:

>> 'missing
>
> How about controller.stub!(:render) also? You want
> should_receive(:send_data) because that's the spec, right?

Oh, of course! That works beautifully. Too much overthinking on my part.

Cheers,
Chris
Chris M. (Guest)