Forum: Ruby Does Ruby support package for GUI Testing?

Ulrich S. (Guest)

I would like to know if Ruby support some package for GUI Testing?
My requirement is to test a .Net / C# based GUI application.

Earlier I have used Ruby Watir for Web Testing.

Please let me know on this

Thanks,
Ulrich
Phlip (Guest)
Ulrich Susai wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to know if Ruby support some package for GUI Testing?
> My requirement is to test a .Net / C# based GUI application.
>
> Earlier I have used Ruby Watir for Web Testing.

Your question reveals the heartbreaking distance between the state of
the art in
software engineering and .Net.

Ruby is not some language invented as the scripting layer for a
thru-the-GUI
test tool.

Test .Net using NUnit:

   http://www.nunit.org/index.php

However, if your program was not already written with unit tests, then
you are
on a fools' mission. You are the good money thrown after bad. The
authors of
that program should have been writing it with unit tests, the way
Charlie and
others like him have been telling programmers to do for the past decade.

And notice I'm talking about tests that run from inside the program,
calling its
methods and objects directly, with nothing between the tests and code to
add
noise. If you had such tests, then writing tests that reach out to GUI
objects
and treat them as objects would be very easy.
Mike S. (Guest)
on 2009-03-16 15:33
Ulrich Susai wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to know if Ruby support some package for GUI Testing?
> My requirement is to test a .Net / C# based GUI application.
>
> Earlier I have used Ruby Watir for Web Testing.
>
> Please let me know on this
>
> Thanks,
> Ulrich

The package is Win32API. There is book all about this called GUI
Scripted Testing with Ruby  http://oreilly.com/catalog/9781934356180/ .
It's a lot simpler than you might imagine.