Forum: Ruby on Rails You called render with invalid options : {:text=>"howdy"}, nil

Phillip (Guest)
I just "upgraded" to Rails 2.2.2.

In environment, I've set:
RAILS_GEM_VERSION = '2.2.2' unless defined? RAILS_GEM_VERSION

In development.rb and production.rb I've commented out:
#config.action_view.cache_template_extensions         = false

I now get an error:
You called render with invalid options : {:text=>"howdy"}, nil

The data within the curlies will be appropriate to the page. It's
usually something like:
{:layout=>true, :file=>"page/list"}, nil

In the :text example, I'm trying to isolate the controller and the
views out of the picture and render some simple text to the screen
using:
  def mypage
    render(:text=>"howdy")
  end

It doesn't matter whether I'm running Apache/mod_rails or Mongrel, I
get the same error. Must be something basic, but there isn't much on
the web about it. Any ideas will be appreciated.
Frederick C. (Guest)
On Mar 15, 10:08 pm, Phillip <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> It doesn't matter whether I'm running Apache/mod_rails or Mongrel, I
> get the same error. Must be something basic, but there isn't much on
> the web about it. Any ideas will be appreciated.

Random guess: you've got a plugin that was overriding some action
controller internals and those internals have changed.

Fred
Bob M. (Guest)
As Fred said, what plugins/gems are you using?
Phillip (Guest)
Thanks everyone for responding. I thought I had posted the answer
somewhere, but I don't see it here. The problem is with the Textmate
Footnotes plugin as described here:

http://blog.insoshi.com/2008/07/03/a-rails-21-case...

which will take you here:
script/plugin install git://github.com/drnic/rails-footnotes.git