Forum: GNU Radio Problem in Installing gnuradio-3.2

Somya A. (Guest)
Hi , I am facing
a problem in installing gnuradio-3.2. I was able to install
gnuradio-3.1.3 properly but when I tried to install this  newer version
on the top of the older version, maximum of the packages are not
getting configured including gnuradio-core and usrp.

When I
started installing this newer version I faced the same problem with the
major packages, then one of my friend suggested to add the library path
for some missing packages (mainly gsl-which was already installed on my
system but the configure script was not able to detect it) and then by
doing that I was able to get maximum of them configured and then I did
the usual make, make check and make install. After that when I tried to
run grc it got the following error :

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/bin/grc", line 25, in <module>
    from gnuradio.grc.platforms.base.Constants import VERSION
ImportError: No module named grc.platforms.base.Constants
[root@Somya gnuradio]#

As
you suggested in the reply, I sett ed the path for Python, but was not
able to get it over. but I was able to run any other python example
namely the audio_tone one.Then I again tried to configure the newer
version without adding any library path but faced the same problem with
the packages.

I am attaching the log ./configure file for the reference (open it with
word pad). I am a newbie to Linux and to gnuradio. I would really
appreciate if anybody can help me regarding this matter.

Thanks & Regards,
Somya A.

      New Email addresses available on Yahoo!
Get the Email name you&#39;ve always wanted on the new @ymail and
@rocketmail.
Hurry before someone else does!
Patrick S. (Guest)
Somya A. wrote am 2009-03-15 00:54:
> Hi , I am facing a problem in installing gnuradio-3.2. I was able to
> install gnuradio-3.1.3 properly but when I tried to install this  newer
> version on the top of the older version, maximum of the packages are not
> getting configured including gnuradio-core and usrp.

You should always a make uninstall before installing a newer version.
Otherwise parts of the old installation may interfere with the new
parts. Components of different versions can not be expected to work
together.

> I am attaching the log ./configure file for the reference (open it with
> word pad). I am a newbie to Linux and to gnuradio. I would really
> appreciate if anybody can help me regarding this matter.

Please tell us more about your setting. Refer to
http://gnuradio.org/trac/wiki/ReportingErrors#What...

Your configure output shows:

> gr-audio-alsa
> gr-pager
> gr-radar-mono
> gr-radio-astronomy
> gr-trellis
> gr-video-sdl
> gr-wxgui
> gr-qtgui
> gr-sounder
> gr-utils
> gnuradio-examples
> grc

You won't get any far without a least gnuradio-core, gr-wxgui and
gr-utils, and gr-usrp if you want to use the USRP. You won't get any
soundcard usage without one of gr-audio-alsa, gr-audio-jack,
gr-audio-oss or gr-audio-portaudio on Linux, preferably gr-audio-alsa.
You won't have the helpful examples without gnuradio-examples.

Did you disable some of them in the configure command line? How did you
configure? The output is only a very limited help without the command
line generating it.

Patrick
Patrick S. <patrick dot strasser at student dot tugraz dot at>
udadidd (Guest)
Hi
I could install grc successfully...
But when i try to execute it, i get the error:

Xlib:  extension "RANDR" missing on display "/tmp/launch-zFqALC/:0".
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/bin/grc", line 33, in <module>
    from gnuradio.grc.platforms.base.Constants import VERSION
ImportError: No module named grc.platforms.base.Constants

a) I have checked my PYTHONPATH :
/opt/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages:/opt/gnuradio/lib/python2.5/site-packages
b) I have added
     export BOOST_PREFIX=/opt/boost_1_38_0
     export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$BOOST_PREFIX/lib
but i did not understand the sigificance of adding this as i do not find
folder of boost_1_38_0 in the /opt directory!!

I still cannot execute the grc on my command prompt!!

Kindly help!

Somya A. wrote:
> for some missing packages (mainly gsl-which was already installed on my
>

> checking for sched_setscheduler... (cached) yes
> USRP requires sdcc. sdcc not found. See http://sdcc.sf.net
> checking for sys/socket.h... yes
> Not building component gr-usrp.
> checking for sys/socket.h... (cached) yes
> Component gr-audio-oss requires gnuradio-core, which is not being built or
> Not building component gr-audio-windows.
> pre-installed files.
> Component gr-radio-astronomy requires gnuradio-core, which is not being
> Not building component gr-wxgui.
> built or specified via pre-installed files.
> config.status: creating gruel/Makefile
> config.status: creating gcell/gcell.pc
> config.status: creating gcell/apps/spu/Makefile
> config.status: creating gnuradio-core/src/lib/filter/Makefile
> config.status: creating gnuradio-core/src/python/Makefile
> config.status: creating gnuradio-core/src/tests/Makefile
> config.status: creating mblock/doc/Makefile
> config.status: creating usrp/doc/Doxyfile
> config.status: creating usrp/host/apps-inband/Makefile
> config.status: creating usrp2/Makefile
> config.status: creating gr-usrp/apps/Makefile
> config.status: creating gr-audio-alsa/gr-audio-alsa.pc
> config.status: creating gr-audio-osx/src/run_tests
> config.status: creating gr-atsc/src/python/Makefile
> config.status: creating gr-gpio/src/Makefile
> config.status: creating gr-gsm-fr-vocoder/src/python/Makefile
> config.status: creating gr-radar-mono/src/fpga/models/Makefile
> config.status: creating gr-trellis/doc/Makefile
> config.status: creating gr-wxgui/gr-wxgui.pc
> config.status: creating gr-sounder/src/fpga/Makefile
> config.status: creating gnuradio-examples/Makefile
> config.status: creating gnuradio-examples/python/multi-antenna/Makefile
> config.status: creating grc/src/platforms/Makefile
> config.status: creating grc/examples/simple/Makefile
> config.status: creating run_tests.sh
> '--prefix=/usr/local'  --cache-file=/dev/null --srcdir=.
> checking dependency style of gcc... gcc3
> checking for memory.h... yes
> checking byteswap.h usability... yes
> config.status: creating Makefile
>

> gr-usrp2
> gr-cvsd-vocoder
> gr-utils

run this on the command line

python -c "from gnuradio import gr"

does it give an error? If so, python cannot find gnuradio. Is there a
folder called gnuradio in

udadidd wrote:
> a) I have checked my PYTHONPATH :
> /opt/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages:/opt/gnuradio/lib/python2.5/site-packages
> b) I have added
>      export BOOST_PREFIX=/opt/boost_1_38_0
>      export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$BOOST_PREFIX/lib
> but i did not understand the sigificance of adding this as i do not find a
> folder of boost_1_38_0 in the /opt directory!!

where did you install boost?
udadidd (Guest)
a) I ran the command : "python -c ..." and it DOES NOT give any error!
b) I do find a folder gnuradio in the path :

Josh B.-2 wrote:
> udadidd wrote:
>> a) I have checked my PYTHONPATH :
>
>>> getting configured including gnuradio-core and usrp.
>>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>> the packages.
>>> Get the Email name you&#39;ve always wanted on the new @ymail and
>>> checking usb.h presence... yes
>>> checking linux/if_packet.h usability... yes
>>> checking for struct cmsgcred.cmcred_uid... no
>>> via pre-installed files.
>>> Not building component gr-msdd6000.
>>> Component gr-audio-osx requires gnuradio-core, which is not being built
>>> specified via pre-installed files.
>>> pre-installed files.
>>> Component gr-radio-astronomy requires gnuradio-core, which is not being
>>> specified via pre-installed files.
>>> Not building component gr-utils.
>>> yes
>>> config.status: creating omnithread/Makefile
>>> config.status: creating gcell/lib/general/Makefile
>>> config.status: creating gnuradio-core/doc/xml-swig/Makefile
>>> config.status: creating gnuradio-core/src/lib/reed-solomon/Makefile
>>> config.status: creating gnuradio-core/src/python/gnuradio/gr/run_tests
>>> config.status: creating pmt/src/Makefile
>>> config.status: creating mblock/src/scheme/Makefile
>>> config.status: creating usrp/host/lib/Makefile
>>> config.status: creating usrp/firmware/src/common/Makefile
>>> config.status: creating usrp2/host/lib/Makefile
>>> config.status: creating gr-gcell/src/Makefile
>>> config.status: creating gr-audio-jack/src/run_tests
>>> config.status: creating gr-audio-windows/src/Makefile
>>> config.status: creating gr-cvsd-vocoder/Makefile
>>> config.status: creating gr-gpio/src/fpga/rbf/Makefile
>>> config.status: creating gr-radar-mono/Makefile
>>> config.status: creating gr-radio-astronomy/Makefile
>>> config.status: creating gr-trellis/src/examples/Makefile
>>> config.status: creating gr-qtgui/src/Makefile
>>> config.status: creating gr-sounder/src/python/Makefile
>>> config.status: creating gnuradio-examples/python/apps/hf_radio/Makefile
>>> config.status: creating gnuradio-examples/python/usrp/Makefile
>>> config.status: creating grc/src/platforms/gui/Makefile
>>> config.status: creating grc/data/platforms/Makefile
>>> config.status: executing libtool commands
>>> used.
>>> checking for C compiler default output file name... a.out
>>> checking for ranlib... ranlib
>>> checking for stdint.h... yes
>>> checking whether byte ordering is bigendian... no
>>> config.status: executing depfiles commands
>>> The following GNU Radio components have been successfully configured:
its possible that you have the grc executable installed twice, and the
older one is taking precedence.

0) Run the command: which grc

1) What path does that return? Then remove that file.

2) Run which grc again, is there a file? Remove that

3) Run sudo make install -C grc
udadidd (Guest)
0) Which grc returned : "/usr/local/bin/grc"
1) Removed grc from the same
2) "which grc" again does not return any file
3) sudo make install -C grc returns : "make: *** grc: No such file or
directory.  Stop."

Do i have to configure, make and make install?

Thanks for the Support!
Udaya

Josh B.-2 wrote:
> 3) Run sudo make install -C grc

> Do i have to configure, make and make install?

What may have happened here is fallout from a reorganization of the
grc directories in the source/install tree on the trunk.  You're best
best is to manually go through /usr/local/{bin,lib,...} and remove all
traces of gnuradio, then go back to your gnuradio source tree and
start from the bootstrap step.

That's a bit of overkill, but should clear the issue up.

Johnathan
udadidd (Guest)
Hi
I have deleted al gnuradio/ files from /usr/local/{directories}
-and again started from bootstrap
-ran grc
Now I get the error:

Xlib:  extension "RANDR" missing on display "/tmp/launch-zFqALC/:0".
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/bin/grc", line 33, in <module>
    from gnuradio.grc import VERSION
ImportError: No module named grc

Johnathan C.-2 wrote:

Hi
I figured out the error!
In addition to the PYTHONPATH i had
i needed to add the commands in this site:
https://radioware.nd.edu/documentation/install-gui...

and it worked

Udaya