Forum: Ruby has 'ping' been dropped from 1.9.1?

john maclean (Guest)
=begin
RUBY_REVISION
=> 21895
=end

 require 'ping'
LoadError: no such file to load -- ping
        from (irb):1:in `require'
        from (irb):1

--
John M.
07739 171 531

Timezone: GMT
Michael L. (Guest)
on 2009-03-15 04:14
>  require 'ping'
> LoadError: no such file to load -- ping
>         from (irb):1:in `require'
>         from (irb):1

if you desperately need it (though yes it seems it wasn't included in
the source package) just move it over from 1.8 or download it
separately.

mv /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/ping.rb /usr/lib/ruby/1.9.1/

Not the best solution but work with wut yuh got!

- Mac
Ken B. (Guest)
On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 21:12:24 -0500, Michael L. wrote:

> mv /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/ping.rb /usr/lib/ruby/1.9.1/
>
> Not the best solution but work with wut yuh got!
>
> - Mac

That's a horrible idea. If the 1.8 version works, include it in your
project, but don't go modifying your standard library.
Michael L. (Guest)
on 2009-03-15 20:10
> That's a horrible idea. If the 1.8 version works, include it in your
> project, but don't go modifying your standard library.

Hence "not the best solution". And it wouldn't be modifying the
'standard' library because ping wasn't included in the standard library;
therefore it isn't standard. I would agree with you if I was replacing
Find or something with a 1.8 distro file, a file that was already
included in the standard library.

If ping is re-added in a future release, the 1.8v of ping will be
overwritten.