Forum: Ruby on Rails Installation of i18n

Sacredceltic (Guest)
I desperately try to put in place i18n for my project, in order mainly
to translate date/time formats, but the information I get from all the
different sources is either incomplete or contradictory :

Some say translation files should be placed in config/locales, others
in app/locales
Some say they should be a yaml file, others in rb file

My current configuration is the following :

1) I installed the i18n gem version 0.1.0
2) I created the translation file myproject/locales/fr-FR/fr-FR.yml,
containing :

"fr-FR:
  date:
    formats:
           default: "%d/%m/%Y"
...<all the other formats>"

3) I created the initializer file myproject/config/initializers/
locale.rb, containing :

I18n.load_path += Dir.glob("#{RAILS_ROOT}/app/locales/**/*.yml")
I18n.default_locale = "fr-FR"

However, my dates are still in english and
I18n.localize(Date.today)
results in => I18n::MissingTranslationData: translation missing: fr-
FR, date, formats
  from /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.2.2/lib/
active_support/...

What's wrong ?

Thank you for oyur help
Tom Z Meinlschmidt (Guest)
my files:

#file config/locale/en.yml
en:
   date:
     formats:
       ddate: "%d.%m.%Y"

   time:
     formats:
       ddate: "%Y-%m-%d"
       dtime: "%H:%M"

# and usage (somewhere in helper)

def showdate(date)
   l(Time.at(date), :format => :ddate)
end

tom

Sacredceltic wrote:

> 3) I created the initializer file myproject/config/initializers/
> active_support/...
>
> What's wrong ?
>
> Thank you for oyur help

I get a "config/locales/fr-FR.rb:1: syntax error, unexpected ':',
expecting $end"

Should the "en.yml' file end with a "end" ?
Tom Z Meinlschmidt (Guest)
replace tab chars (\t) with spaces ...

Sacredceltic wrote:
>> en:
>>
>>> to translate date/time formats, but the information I get from all the
>>>   date:
>>> FR, date, formats

Yes, thank you, I just realized it was such an issue and I re-sourced
the file.