Forum: Ruby How to read a charecters from and image?

m. j. (Guest)
on 2009-03-12 12:11
hi,

       How to read a letters in one image. I want to read the alphabets
from that given image.

Please help me to solve this issue...
jose javier parra sanchez (Guest)
I do not see the relation with ruby, anyway, you need an OCR app or
library. Most are simple toys that don't work. Unless the text is of
good quality with a white background most fail.

2009/3/12 rails and rails only <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:
Pascal J. Bourguignon (Guest)
rails and rails only <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> writes:
>        How to read a letters in one image. I want to read the alphabets
> from that given image.
>
> Please help me to solve this issue...

Basically, you have two situations.

1- the characters in the image are generated from an identified computer
font.

    You can then easily try to match each character in the font, pixel
per pixel.

2- otherwise, you will have to use some OCR algorithm to recognize the
   character.  Something that works well enough if there's noise is
   neural-networks.
Redd V. (Guest)
Stop that! He's probably looking to crack CAPTCHAs.

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 11:22 AM, Pascal J. Bourguignon <
Redd V. (Guest)
Fuck, now this thread is gonna pop up every time some kiddie Googles how
crack CAPTCHAs. Maybe the list admins could intervene?
m. j. (Guest)
on 2009-03-12 13:00
Redd V. wrote:
> Fuck, now this thread is gonna pop up every time some kiddie Googles how
> crack CAPTCHAs. Maybe the list admins could intervene?

http://ajaxonrails.wordpress.com/2006/10/24/captch...

go through this link....

i have some images with alphabets can read from that????
Eleanor McHugh (Guest)
On 12 Mar 2009, at 10:34, Redd V. wrote:
> Fuck, now this thread is gonna pop up every time some kiddie Googles
> how to
> crack CAPTCHAs. Maybe the list admins could intervene?

So what? This is a non-trivial problem and no script kiddie is likely
to solve it anytime soon, whether in Ruby or in another language.

Ellie

Eleanor McHugh
Games With Brains
http://slides.games-with-brains.net
----
Robert D. (Guest)
On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 12:45 PM, Eleanor McHugh
> On 12 Mar 2009, at 10:34, Redd V. wrote:
>>
>> Fuck, now this thread is gonna pop up every time some kiddie Googles how
>> crack CAPTCHAs. Maybe the list admins could intervene?
>
> So what? This is a non-trivial problem and no script kiddie is likely to
> solve it anytime soon, whether in Ruby or in another language.

It is however trivial compared to the task of keeping living languages
from degradation :(

Robert
Eleanor McHugh (Guest)
On 12 Mar 2009, at 13:17, Robert D. wrote:
>> likely to
>> solve it anytime soon, whether in Ruby or in another language.
>>
> It is however trivial compared to the task of keeping living languages
> from degradation :(

All your language are belong to us >;p

Ellie

Eleanor McHugh
Games With Brains
http://slides.games-with-brains.net
----
Clifford H. (Guest)
Eleanor McHugh wrote:
> On 12 Mar 2009, at 10:34, Redd V. wrote:
>> now this thread is gonna pop up every time some kiddie Googles
>> how to crack CAPTCHAs.
> So what? This is a non-trivial problem and no script kiddie is likely
> to solve it anytime soon, whether in Ruby or in another language.

No, it's a trivial problem. Display the image on a webpage somewhere
and offer porn for a human if they decode it for you. They don't need
to know that the captcha is for a 3rd-party site.

Clifford H..
Robert D. (Guest)
On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 12:02 AM, Clifford H.
wrote:

> No, it's a trivial problem. Display the image on a webpage somewhere
> and offer porn for a human if they decode it for you. They don't need
> to know that the captcha is for a 3rd-party site.
which will have changed in the meantime, right? (I hope)
Robert
F. Senault (Guest)
Le 13 mars à 11:16, Robert D. a écrit :

> On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 12:02 AM, Clifford H. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:

>> No, it's a trivial problem. Display the image on a webpage somewhere
>> and offer porn for a human if they decode it for you. They don't need
>> to know that the captcha is for a 3rd-party site.
> which will have changed in the meantime, right? (I hope)

It's automated.  A porn site shows the captcha to access its pages, the
unsuspecting user posts the answer to get his smut, and a spambot behind
sends the answer to the original captcha, and posts its spam message in
the comments of the blog or registers its new email account to use in
spamming.

http://news.cnet.com/2100-1023_3-5207290.html

This being said, we're way off topic, here.

Fred
Robert D. (Guest)
On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 11:48 AM, F. Senault
> Le 13 mars à 11:16, Robert D. a écrit :
>
> This being said, we're way off topic, here.

Sure but I think this was valuable information for naïve folks like me,
thanx!
Eleanor McHugh (Guest)
On 12 Mar 2009, at 23:02, Clifford H. wrote:
> to know that the captcha is for a 3rd-party site.
The weak-point in any security scheme is always human - but I think
that's the best use of the principle I've seen in a long time ;)

Ellie

Eleanor McHugh
Games With Brains
http://slides.games-with-brains.net
----
Jeff S. (Guest)
Eleanor McHugh wrote:

> raise ArgumentError unless @reality.responds_to? :reason

Argument doesn't help.  I know, I've tried. :)
Eleanor McHugh (Guest)
On 13 Mar 2009, at 15:37, Jeff S. wrote:
> Eleanor McHugh wrote:
>
>> raise ArgumentError unless @reality.responds_to? :reason
>
> Argument doesn't help.  I know, I've tried. :)

That's when it's time for a hard re-boot ;)