Forum: Ruby on Rails How many people are using Ruby now?

Paul_Klipp (Guest)
I enjoyed the Linux Counter (http://counter.li.org/) in the early days
of Linux adoption and so when we had some free time, one of my team
tossed together a little app for registering and counting Ruby users
and tracking Ruby adoption rates.

It's at http://www.rubyusers.com

If you think it's a good idea, please sign up. Or you could just do it
for the link back to your homepage, cv or blog.

If you think it's a bad idea, then I'm really sorry to have bothered
you.

All the best,

Paul

Paul Klipp, Certified Scrum Practitioner
Lunar Logic Polska
Agile Ruby Experts

http://www.lunarlogicpolska.com/portfolio

Do you use Ruby? Get counted!
http://www.rubyusers.com/
m. j. (Guest)
on 2009-03-12 13:22
Paul_Klipp wrote:
> I enjoyed the Linux Counter (http://counter.li.org/) in the early days
> of Linux adoption and so when we had some free time, one of my team
> tossed together a little app for registering and counting Ruby users
> and tracking Ruby adoption rates.
>
> It's at http://www.rubyusers.com

sign up is big problem with CAPTCHAs
Colin L. (Guest)
2009/3/12 rails and rails only <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>

> sign up is big problem with CAPTCHAs

Yes, it took me three gos to get the text correct.

Colin
David Nitzsche-Bell (Guest)
What problem did you have? I had no problem at all.
Colin L. (Guest)
2009/3/12 David Nitzsche-Bell <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>

> What problem did you have? I had no problem at all.

I could not read the words. I tried the audio feed but that did not
recognise what I typed either.  The last letter is often truncated.
(Tried
on IE and FF, no difference).  Once I realised that there was a button
generate a new code it was ok, I pressed it a couple of times till
something
I could read appeared.  It would be easier if the words were simple
words, I
have just had another look and one of them is Trubenback, clicked the
refresh and one is volen with half a letter on the end that might be a
t, or
perhaps it is violent with the i mixed up with the v.

I am not normally deficient in the pattern recognition department as far
as
I am aware.

Colin
David Nitzsche-Bell (Guest)
I guess I just lucked out. I tried again several times and I see what
you mean. In some cases the last letter was indeed truncated.

Well, I hope this gets addressed.

David
Charles J. (Guest)
On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 12:30 AM, Paul_Klipp

> I enjoyed the Linux Counter (http://counter.li.org/) in the early days
> of Linux adoption and so when we had some free time, one of my team
> tossed together a little app for registering and counting Ruby users
> and tracking Ruby adoption rates.
>
> Unfortunately, it won't take a valid email address. Mine is a
removed_email_address@domain.invalid
Need to work on the e-mail regex! There are numerous examples on the web
for
e-mail regexes. Have a look.

Oh, and post when it is fixed. Thanks!

Cheers--

Charles
Paul_Klipp (Guest)
So it seems we have to do two things ASAP: replace the Google books
capcha with a logical capcha (I just like the idea of helping with the
Google books project) and relax the email validation. The developer
probably did use a standard regex email validation script from the
web, but often those are not as friendly as those of us with unusual
email addresses would like (mine is @llp.pl, so I get busted from time
to time for not having a .com or .org email).

I'm sure we'll get it fixed soon. The developer was not in the office
today.

Thanks for the community-based testing. :)

All the best,

Paul
Paul_Klipp (Guest)
I hate capchas, personally. We chose this one because at least it does
some good. As you use it, it improves the OCR of a book scanning
project. But as it's really a barrier to access, then I would prefer a
logical capcha to prevent bots creating accounts. A logical captcha is
something like "The sum of 4 and 8 is ________." They are always easy
to read, even for browser readers for the blind.

All the best,

Paul