Forum: RSpec [cucumber] open source projects with cucumber features

Balint E. (Guest)

I was looking for some "real-world" cucumber features (mainly on github)
to see how more complex features are built but I have not really found
any. Could you point me to some?

Thank you,
Balint
Zach D. (Guest)
On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 3:03 PM, Balint E.
<removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was looking for some "real-world" cucumber features (mainly on github)
> to see how more complex features are built but I have not really found
> any. Could you point me to some?

For seeing different ways to utilize scenarios and step definitions I
would look at Cucumber and RSpec. They both have feature files and
have good examples of different ways to utilize scenarios and step
definitions:

  http://github.com/aslakhellesoy/cucumber
  http://github.com/dchelimsky/rspec

--
Zach D.
http://www.continuousthinking.com

2009/3/11 Balint E. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Rich M. (Guest)
At 20:03 +0100 3/11/09, Balint E. wrote:
> I was looking for some "real-world" cucumber features (mainly
> on github) to see how more complex features are built but I
> have not really found any.  Could you point me to some?

I asked about this on #github.  Lenary helped out massively.

Procedure:

  Go to http://github.com/search
  Search "Code" using "Ruby" for "require cucumber"

http://github.com/search?type=Code&language=rb
  &q=require+cucumber&repo=&langOverride=&x=0&y=0

Very cool...

-r
--
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm            Rich M.
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm/resume     removed_email_address@domain.invalid

Oliver B. (Guest)
+1
I'm also looking for examples... I've seen several
authentication-related ones, but very few examples of features that
users would actually care a lot about, and that would help in learning
outside-in development...

2009/3/11 Andrew P. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:
Matt W. (Guest)
On 11 Mar 2009, at 19:46, Zach D. wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 3:03 PM, Balint E. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was looking for some "real-world" cucumber features (mainly on
>> github)
>> to see how more complex features are built but I have not really
>> found
>> any. Could you point me to some?

What kind of app are you looking to build? Website? GUI? Console?

Matt W.
http://blog.mattwynne.net
http://www.songkick.com
Oliver B. (Guest)
I'm looking for feature examples for web apps, I imagine Balint is as
well?

2009/3/11 Matt W. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:
Aslak H. (Guest)
On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 3:22 PM, Oliver B.
<removed_email_address@domain.invalid
> wrote:

> I'm looking for feature examples for web apps, I imagine Balint is as well?

What kind of webapp? Merb? JEE? Rails? Sinatra? ASP.NET? PHP? other?

Aslak
Oliver B. (Guest)
Rails, but any other would be helpful as well, really.

Just a repo of varied real-world cucumber feature examples already
would help a lot, even without the feature steps or an actual
developed app. I've been mining samples from pasties, tutorials and
from github, but have found only a few scattered (and several
theoretical), and have not found a more evolved and cohesive set.

I'm working on a real project using cucumber right now, and though I
think I understand the principles shown on the rspec book and the
cucumber wiki, as well as on the discussions here, at times I've
gotten stuck in writing features with my client, without patterns to
draw from.

2009/3/13 aslak hellesoy <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:
Aslak H. (Guest)
On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 7:13 PM, Oliver B.
<removed_email_address@domain.invalid
> wrote:

> Rails, but any other would be helpful as well, really.
>
> Just a repo of varied real-world cucumber feature examples already
> would help a lot, even without the feature steps or an actual
> developed app. I've been mining samples from pasties, tutorials and
> from github, but have found only a few scattered (and several
> theoretical), and have not found a more evolved and cohesive set.

Here is an application some of my colleagues have developed:
http://github.com/bekkopen/kompetansesok/tree/master

It's in Norwegian, and not the simplest app in the world (not the most
complex either). The live version is here:
http://kompetansesok.demo.bekk.no/

Hopefully someone with an English app can share....
Matt W. (Guest)
On 13 Mar 2009, at 18:13, Oliver B. wrote:

> cucumber wiki, as well as on the discussions here, at times I've
> gotten stuck in writing features with my client, without patterns to
> draw from.

I think this is a problem, because most of the apps people are writing
with Cucumber are proprietary, so there aren't any good examples in
the public domain.

Hopefully once the code stabilizes for 0.2 we can start building the
Cucumber web GUI as a shining example of how we like to do this.

Matt W.
http://blog.mattwynne.net
http://www.songkick.com
Balint E. (Guest)
on 2009-03-14 20:52
Yes, I am writing a Rails app. Anyway, I have got over the initial
"writer's block" thanks to a very insightful thread on this forum
(http://www.mail-archive.com/removed_email_address@...)
and your valuable help. Thank you all!

Balint

Matt W. wrote: