Forum: Ruby on Rails install rubygems

Thiti P. (Guest)
i install ruby 1.8.8 on ubuntu
and when i install rubygem by code are:
> wget http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/45905/rubyge...
>tar xzvf rubygems-1.3.1.tgz
>cd rubygems-1.3.1
but i used this command is > sudo ruby setup.rb
i get error is
>/home/test/rubygems-1.3.1/lib/rubygems/version.rb:53:in `initialize': Malformed version
number string 1.8.8.-1 (ArgumentError)
  from /home/test/rubygems-1.3.1/lib/rubygems.rb:676:in `new'
  from /home/test/rubygems-1.3.1/lib/rubygems.rb:676:in `ruby_version'
  from setup.rb:111

pls ,give comment for me what wrong in the installation rubygems
Frederick C. (Guest)
On Mar 11, 8:00 am, "removed_email_address@domain.invalid"
> i install ruby 1.8.8 on ubuntu

Do you really want to use an unfinished, unstable version of ruby?

Fred
Bob M. (Guest)
I would recommend just going with the version of Ruby Ubuntu installs
by default and running with that for now, unless there is a specific
reason to be running with 1.8.8 for you.
Troy (Guest)
If you change line 5 of version.h from

#define RUBY_PATCHLEVEL -1
#define RUBY_PATCHLEVEL 1