Forum: GNU Radio Possiblity of Modulation without the usrp? PSK modulator?

w w (Guest)
Greetings,
I'm wondering if you all could tell me if it is possible to set up and
modulate a signal without the usrp?   If so how do you insert the
carrier?
For a BPSK siganl do you just multiply carrier by the modulated signal?
also notice that gnuradio did at one time have a PSK modulator but it is
no
longer available.....what took it's place?   Without a PSK modulator,
how do
you  modulate signals like BPSK, QPSK, 8PSK.?

Thanks,
Jody
Eric B. (Guest)
On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 09:31:57AM -0400, w w wrote:
> Greetings,
> I'm wondering if you all could tell me if it is possible to set up and
> modulate a signal without the usrp?   If so how do you insert the carrier?
> For a BPSK siganl do you just multiply carrier by the modulated signal?   I
> also notice that gnuradio did at one time have a PSK modulator but it is no
> longer available.....what took it's place?   Without a PSK modulator, how do
> you  modulate signals like BPSK, QPSK, 8PSK.?

Please take a look at *psk.py in
gnuradio-core/src/python/gnuradio/blks2impl

Each file contains both the modulator and demodulator.

Eric
w w (Guest)
Yufeng,
Yes, I'm still looking at setting up BPSK, QPSK and 8PSK.  I was however
able to TX and RX DPSK and GMSK without the USRP.

However,  I was wondering if you had the history of TX of PSK with
GNUradio.   In the past there was a block named BPSK.py but now it is
not
there.  It seemed very similar to the Digital BERT example using a
costas
loop and MM clock recovery. Then there is a MPSK receiver that was added
there after.   It seemed to me like the natural progression was to add a
MPSK transmitter or better yet hold to the schema with DPSK,GMSK and QAM
and
have a MPSK Mod and a MPSK Demod.   Do you know why BPSK.py dissappeared
and
it was not replaced with a MPSK transmitter or MPSK Mod?

I took a look at PSK.py and got confused because it seemed to only deal
with
Gray coding only.....what am I missing?

Cheers,
Jody