Forum: Ruby on Rails development speed boosters

Roger M. (Guest)
on 2009-03-09 16:00
anyone know of any good development speed booster plugins or gems? the
larger my app becomes, the slower development time becomes.. getting
painfully slow..
Charles J. (Guest)
On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 9:00 AM, Roger M. <

> anyone know of any good development speed booster plugins or gems? the
> larger my app becomes, the slower development time becomes.. getting
> painfully slow..
> --

Where in the development cycle do you seem to go the slowest? Creating
tests? Writing code against your tests? Unit testing? Testing
controllers?
Hitting the database? Where do you experience a bottleneck, or necks?
Cheers--

Charles
Robby R. (Guest)
On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 7:00 AM, Roger M.

> anyone know of any good development speed booster plugins or gems? the
> larger my app becomes, the slower development time becomes.. getting
> painfully slow..

Roger,

I'm not sure if this is still being maintained with the latest version
of Ruby on Rails, but it's worth looking into.

*
http://www.robbyonrails.com/articles/2007/08/28/ra...

I found it on Github as well:

* http://github.com/yyyc514/rails_dev_mode_performance/tree

Good luck!

Cheers,
Robby

--
Robby R.
Chief Evangelist, Partner

PLANET ARGON, LLC
design // development // hosting w/Ruby on Rails

http://planetargon.com/
http://robbyonrails.com/
http://twitter.com/planetargon
aim: planetargon

+1 503 445 2457
+1 877 55 ARGON [toll free]
+1 815 642 4068 [fax]
Greg D. (Guest)
On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 9:00 AM, Roger M.

> anyone know of any good development speed booster plugins or gems? the
> larger my app becomes, the slower development time becomes.. getting
> painfully slow..

You can always use mod_rails in development mode on Apache:

http://www.modrails.com/

<VirtualHost *:80>
  ServerName myapp
  DocumentRoot /rails/myapp/public
  RailsEnv development
  <Directory "/rails/myapp/public">
    Options FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride None
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
  </Directory>
</VirtualHost>

Minus the ability to run an inline debugger, it works the same as
mongrel or webrick, except multi-threaded and faster.

--
Greg D.
http://destiney.com/