Forum: Ruby testing equality

Haris B. (Guest)
Hi.

When I try to test equality of two strings, for example:

if object1.string==object2.string then puts object1.string end

I get nothing printed even though two strings are equal.

Why ?

Thanks
Justin C. (Guest)
Haris B. wrote:
> Thanks

The best way is to try the code using irb and post the results if you
are still stuck.
Most likely, though, the objects you are comparing not really equal. Try
printing out the values before you compare them.

-Justin
Robert K. (Guest)
2009/3/9 Justin C. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:
> Haris B. wrote:
>>
>> When I try to test equality of two strings, for example:
>>
>> if object1.string==object2.string then puts object1.string end
>>
>> I get nothing printed even though two strings are equal.
>>
>> Why ?

Apparently those objects are not equal.

> The best way is to try the code using irb and post the results if you are
> still stuck.
> Most likely, though, the objects you are comparing not really equal. Try
> printing out the values before you compare them.

And when doing that p is preferred to puts because it will reveal any
additional whitespace that you would not see otherwise.

Kind regards

robert
Haris B. (Guest)
I got it. One string from comparison is from gets function so it has
'enter'
character added on the end.

"Haris B." <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote in message