Forum: Ruby What are the 5 most innovative ruby projects/libraries?

Camille R. (Guest)

I'd like to write a post on the most innovative projects in Ruby. I
think Ruby is interresting for the language itself and also for its
community and it's what I would like to show.
I tought to :
- Sinatra
- Capistrano
- Cucumber
- Shoes
- Whenever

In your opinion, what are the 5 most innovative ruby projects/libraries
?

--
Camille R.
http://www.camilleroux.com
On Mar 8, 2009, at 12:21 PM, Camille R. wrote:

> - Whenever

Interesting.  What is this?

Can I get a link?  Google wasn't too helpful.

> In your opinion, what are the 5 most innovative ruby projects/
> libraries?

That's a very, very hard choice to make.  I think I would have trouble
if you asked for 20.  I'll give it a shot though:

* The Pathname standard library:  for interface design
* Rake:  for classic automation done right
* Rails:  for continually trendsetting
* RestClient:  for making networking sexy
* Amalgalite (SQLite by extension): for super easy yet full featured
data storage

James Edward G. II
Camille R. (Guest)
on 2009-03-08 20:58
Nice choice...
I didn't know the two last ones.

Whenever is a nice library to generate cron tasks. It can even be used
with Capistrano.
http://github.com/javan/whenever/tree/master
Luc H. (Guest)
On 8 mars 09, at 18:21, Camille R. wrote:

> In your opinion, what are the 5 most innovative ruby projects/
> libraries
> ?

- Rack
- Mongrel
- Rake
- FFI
- Threadify
James G. (Guest)
On Mar 8, 2009, at 3:00 PM, Luc H. wrote:

> On 8 mars 09, at 18:21, Camille R. wrote:
>
>> In your opinion, what are the 5 most innovative ruby projects/
>> libraries
>> ?
>
> - Rack

Great choice there.

> - Mongrel

Interesting.  What part of this do you consider "innovative?"  I'm
just curious.

> - FFI

Yeah, another great choice.

> - Threadify

I really like his Slave library, which is along similar lines.

James Edward G. II
Power O. (Guest)
on 2009-03-08 23:31
Camille R. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to write a post on the most innovative projects in Ruby. I
> think Ruby is interresting for the language itself and also for its
> community and it's what I would like to show.
> I tought to :
> - Sinatra
> - Capistrano
> - Cucumber
> - Shoes
> - Whenever
>
> In your opinion, what are the 5 most innovative ruby projects/libraries
> ?
>

> --
> Camille R.
> http://www.camilleroux.com

Isn't rail is one of those most innovative Ruby's projects?  I'm a noob
in Ruby, but I heard so much about rail, lolz.
James B. (Guest)
Camille R. wrote:

> In your opinion, what are the 5 most innovative ruby projects/libraries

Nitro
Rack
Rake
Monkeybars
open-uri

or something.

--
James B.

Camille R. (Guest)
on 2009-03-08 23:44
Power O. wrote:
> Isn't rail is one of those most innovative Ruby's projects?  I'm a noob
> in Ruby, but I heard so much about rail, lolz.

You're maybe right. Ruby has a very dynamic and powerfull community, so
there're a lot of innovative projects.
I didn't put Rails in my list for some reasons:
- Rails is composed of some separate projects : Active record, Active
resource, ... are they all innovative?
- Some part of active record are inspirated by WebObjects (from Apple)
- I don't know whether ruby community created new things for Rails or
not
- It's very famous, all rubyist know it. I prefered give less famous
projects
James G. (Guest)
On Mar 8, 2009, at 4:42 PM, Camille R. wrote:

> - Some part of active record are inspirated by WebObjects (from Apple)

Really?  I thought it was based on the Active Record pattern described
by Martin F..

James Edward G. II
rick_2047 (Guest)
@Camille R.
Nobody seems to have taken notice here but shoes is not a library of
any kind. Its more like a different ruby implementation. It comes with
its own ruby fork and cannot be installed as a gem or something.
Phlip (Guest)
> Nobody seems to have taken notice here but shoes is not a library of
> any kind. Its more like a different ruby implementation. It comes with
> its own ruby fork and cannot be installed as a gem or something.

Shoes is indeed the answer to the question "if Rails is so bitchen, why
isn't it
on the list of innovative ruby projects?"

Rails can't possibly innovate because it has only one purpose in the
world -
linking SQL (a preexisting innovation) to HTML (another preexisting
innovation).

Shoes takes the best DSL concepts from Rails, and other good projects,
and then
builds a whole new platform that ignores SQL and refutes HTML.
Martin DeMello (Guest)
On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 10:51 PM, Camille R.
<removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:

> In your opinion, what are the 5 most innovative ruby projects/libraries

Heckle is a pretty good idea that I've not seen elsewhere.
Haml is a nice rethinking of html templating
Halcyon is an interesting take on web service frameworks

and since I seem to have fallen into an alliterative pattern, check
out Hpricot and Hoe too :)

martin
Phlip (Guest)
Martin DeMello wrote:

> and since I seem to have fallen into an alliterative pattern, check
> out Hpricot and Hoe too :)

You may have missed the memo, but Nokogiri recently blew Hpricot out of
the water...

Yeah yeah yeah Hpricot _was_ innovative - a XML library that focuses on
all the
features real programmers actually /need/, instead of just typing in the
exact
XML RFCs verbatim. Nokogiri is strictly derivative here. Yet Nokogiri
appears to
have a better architecture...
Camille R. (Guest)
on 2009-03-09 09:12
Martin DeMello wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 10:51 PM, Camille R. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
> wrote:
>>
>> In your opinion, what are the 5 most innovative ruby projects/libraries
>
> Heckle is a pretty good idea that I've not seen elsewhere.
> Haml is a nice rethinking of html templating
> Halcyon is an interesting take on web service frameworks
>
> and since I seem to have fallen into an alliterative pattern, check
> out Hpricot and Hoe too :)
Very nice choice Martin. I didn't know all of them. I note that for my
future article.
Could you explain what is Heckle and where is the innovation?

Phlip wrote:
>@Camille R.
>Nobody seems to have taken notice here but shoes is not a library of
>any kind. Its more like a different ruby implementation. It comes with
>its own ruby fork and cannot be installed as a gem or something.
ho, I didn't know that. I understand why I had curiously to use 'shoes'
to launch my project! thanks
Phlip (Guest)
Camille R. wrote:

>> Nobody seems to have taken notice here but shoes is not a library of
>> any kind. Its more like a different ruby implementation. It comes with
>> its own ruby fork and cannot be installed as a gem or something.

> ho, I didn't know that. I understand why I had curiously to use 'shoes'
> to launch my project! thanks

That's not the problem - lots of apps are true Ruby apps that you start
with
some other name. Some apps even freeze Ruby and its libraries into
themselves.

The problem (which I learned about in this thread) is the custom fork of
Ruby!
I am aware that if anyone could find a technical reason to fork Ruby,
Doctor Why
could. But still...
Luc H. (Guest)
On 8 mars 09, at 21:06, James G. wrote:

> Interesting.  What part of this do you consider "innovative?"  I'm
> just curious.

Well, I couldn't really think of a fifth one and I *really* wanted to
give credit to something I use all the time. So yeah, maybe not
innovative in the strictest sense.
Charles Oliver N. (Guest)
Camille R. wrote:
> In your opinion, what are the 5 most innovative ruby projects/libraries

In no particular order (and I have 7 here):

- JRuby
- Rubinius
- MagLev
- MacRuby
- IronRuby
- RubySpec
- YARV

More than just about any other library or project, the alternative impls
represent a *tremendous* amount of work, and will do more to move Ruby
forward than anything else.

Of course I'm obviously biased toward implementation-related tech :)

- Charlie
Martin DeMello (Guest)
On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 12:38 PM, Phlip <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:
> exact XML RFCs verbatim. Nokogiri is strictly derivative here. Yet Nokogiri
> appears to have a better architecture...

Yep, nokogiri is a superb piece of work, but hpricot blazed the trail.
If we're specifically discussing *innovative* projects I'd say hpricot
gets the tip of the hat.

martin
Martin DeMello (Guest)
On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 12:40 PM, Camille R.
wrote:

> Could you explain what is Heckle and where is the innovation?

It uses parsetree to get at the structure of your ruby code and modify
it in random but syntactically correct ways, the idea being that that
should cause a test to fail. If it doesn't, you don't have proper
coverage.

http://blog.aslakhellesoy.com/tags/heckle is a good writeup.

martin
Mohit S. (Guest)
Charles Oliver N. wrote:
> - RubySpec
> - YARV
>
> More than just about any other library or project, the alternative
> impls represent a *tremendous* amount of work, and will do more to
> move Ruby forward than anything else.
>
> Of course I'm obviously biased toward implementation-related tech :)
Especially the first one (in no particular order) :P
But seriously, I think you're right!  And the work you guys have done on
JRuby is commendable!
  Thanks!

Cheers,
Mohit.
3/9/2009 | 4:26 PM.
Steve R. (Guest)
On Mar 8, 2009, at 9:03 PM, Phlip wrote:

> Rails can't possibly innovate because it has only one purpose in the
> world - linking SQL (a preexisting innovation) to HTML (another
> preexisting innovation).

That's like saying that the maglev trains can't be innovative because
they link preexisting train stations. What's innovative about maglev
is that it allows trains to achieve higher velocity through the use of
innovative technology. That argument could be made for Rails. The
trains ran before ... they just run faster now (or maybe they get
built faster, or fail less often, or ...).
Ryan D. (Guest)
On Mar 8, 2009, at 22:01 , Martin DeMello wrote:

> and since I seem to have fallen into an alliterative pattern, check
> out Hpricot and Hoe too :)

I like your list, tho I should claim a little bias. ;)

I'd recommend looking at tagz over hpricot, even tho it breaks your
alliteration. It does an amazing job in as little code as it is, and
is really quite fast compared to similarly architected libraries.

I did steal the idea for heckle from java-land, so it can't be that
innovative ;)
Steve R. (Guest)
On Mar 9, 2009, at 12:10 AM, Camille R. wrote:

> Could you explain what is Heckle and where is the innovation?

Heckle injects permutations into code for the purpose of testing the
code's behavior when supplied unexpected inputs. This is done
automatically, and in conjunction with a set of tests that you write
to ascertain that the code is working right. See:
http://glu.ttono.us/articles/2006/12/19/tormenting...
  for a discussion of Heckle and
http://blog.zenspider.com/rubysadism/heckle/
  for heckle itself.
Phlip (Guest)
s.ross wrote:
> trains ran before ... they just run faster now (or maybe they get
> built faster, or fail less often, or ...).

You snipped the comparison to Shoes, whereas Rails to Shoes goes like
maglev to
teleportation...
Steve R. (Guest)
On Mar 10, 2009, at 4:38 AM, Phlip wrote:

>> (or maybe they get  built faster, or fail less often, or ...).
>
> You snipped the comparison to Shoes, whereas Rails to Shoes goes
> like maglev to teleportation...

While I did snip the comparison the Shoes, I didn't snip the phrase
"Rails can't possibly innovate..." which is what I responded to.
Please tell me you don't believe that Rails is constrained like that.
Phlip (Guest)
s.ross wrote:

> While I did snip the comparison the Shoes, I didn't snip the phrase
> "Rails can't possibly innovate..." which is what I responded to.
> Please tell me you don't believe that Rails is constrained like that.

Okay, try this:

Rails is incredible because it takes a completely broken architecture -
HTML,
CGI, HTTP, XML, & JS - and polishes them beyond recognition with
state-of-the-art DSLs and architecture. That is both a major achievement
and
true innovation, considering the pitiful state of other web platforms.

But a Ruby platform could have innovated even more if HTML didn't so
totally suck...
Steve R. (Guest)
On Mar 10, 2009, at 11:13 AM, Phlip wrote:

> architecture - HTML, CGI, HTTP, XML, & JS - and polishes them beyond
> recognition with state-of-the-art DSLs and architecture. That is
> both a major achievement and true innovation, considering the
> pitiful state of other web platforms.
>
> But a Ruby platform could have innovated even more if HTML didn't so
> totally suck...

Right, but HTML is kind of an immovable object. CGI is so sucky people
were dreaming up workarounds in the mid-90s. XML, meh, hard to get
excited about yet another markup language. Javascript wants to be C
and it wants to be Erlang (not really, but it kinda turned out that
way) and it wants to hide bugs so nobody can see. But it's everywhere.
I'd say, "like oxygen" but Javascript seems to suck the life out of me
rather than breathing life into me.

So you're right. The innovation of Rails is that it makes the Web
approachable for lousy programmers (most people can eventually write
the obligatory blog) and leverages good programmers' time and skill
nicely.

Steve