Forum: Ruby which gcc version

Roger P. (Guest)
on 2009-03-07 02:45
Is there a way to know which version of gcc was used with a certain ruby
binary?
Thanks!
-=r
Eric H. (Guest)
On Mar 6, 2009, at 16:43, Roger P. wrote:
> Is there a way to know which version of gcc was used with a certain
> ruby
> binary?

no.
Jeff S. (Guest)
Eric H. wrote:
> On Mar 6, 2009, at 16:43, Roger P. wrote:
>> Is there a way to know which version of gcc was used with a certain
>> ruby binary?
>
> no.

I'm curious:  Why would someone want to know that?
Roger P. (Guest)
on 2009-03-09 17:48
Jeff S. wrote:
> Eric H. wrote:
>> On Mar 6, 2009, at 16:43, Roger P. wrote:
>>> Is there a way to know which version of gcc was used with a certain
>>> ruby binary?
>>
>> no.
>
> I'm curious:  Why would someone want to know that?

I was looking for a way to include it in the output of the ruby
benchmark suite so that the logs were more descriptive of which version
of Ruby was being run :)

Currently I can glean this information from rbconfig:
Ruby VM: ruby [ruby 1.8.6 (2008-07-17 patchlevel 279) [i386-mingw32];-g
-O2]

The -O2 is quite useful [don't want to compare versions that are
compiled with different -O settings and call it fair]..  The version of
GCC would also be useful for the same reason.

-=r
[1] http://github.com/acangiano/ruby-benchmark-suite/tree/master
Eric H. (Guest)
On Mar 9, 2009, at 08:46, Roger P. wrote:
> I was looking for a way to include it in the output of the ruby
> benchmark suite so that the logs were more descriptive of which
> version
> of Ruby was being run :)
>
> Currently I can glean this information from rbconfig:
> Ruby VM: ruby [ruby 1.8.6 (2008-07-17 patchlevel 279) [i386-
> mingw32];-g
> -O2]

You only want the options passed to GCC?  They're in rbconfig.rb
Ryan D. (Guest)
On Mar 9, 2009, at 08:46 , Roger P. wrote:

> I was looking for a way to include it in the output of the ruby
> benchmark suite so that the logs were more descriptive of which
> version
> of Ruby was being run

why not build the ruby yourself as part of the benchmark suite? then
"gcc --version" is valid.
Roger P. (Guest)
on 2009-03-09 20:50
Ryan D. wrote:
> On Mar 9, 2009, at 08:46 , Roger P. wrote:
>
>> I was looking for a way to include it in the output of the ruby
>> benchmark suite so that the logs were more descriptive of which
>> version
>> of Ruby was being run
>
> why not build the ruby yourself as part of the benchmark suite? then
> "gcc --version" is valid.

Good idea.

re: which options I want.  I have the info in rbconfig [parameters] but
I was wondering if ruby knew which version of the compiler was used for
itself somehow :)

-=r