Forum: Ruby GSoC

pat eyler (Guest)
Hey there, are you a college student with a great idea for a project
that would help the Ruby community?

Have you been out of school for a while, hacking on Ruby, and feel
like you'd be a great mentor.

It's time to start talking about GSoC for 2009.

I'd really like to get mentors and students working together to
build the best possible project proposals and teams so that we
can really do something great this year.

Let's talk about it here, but feel free to contact me directly
with questions, ideas, etc.
Charles Oliver N. (Guest)
pat eyler wrote:
> can really do something great this year.
>
> Let's talk about it here, but feel free to contact me directly
> with questions, ideas, etc.

I'd love to see another GSoC on RubySpec stuff, especially geting 1.8.7
and 1.9.1 specs filled out. The lack of specs has been the biggest
obstacle to getting 1.9 support in JRuby.

Related to that, there's a large number of partial test suites we use in
JRuby outside of rubyspec. It would be worth a GSoC just to audit them
all, adding anything rubyspec doesn't cover, so we could start running
*just* rubyspec for JRuby's Ruby-compat test suite.

For JRuby specifically, I can think of several ideas:

- Nokogiri JRuby support (maybe too short, since it's mostly done)
- Other native libs people are using?
- Android/JavaME/embedded JRuby
- "Small footprint" JRuby for applets and things; relates to previous
item

I'll post some other ideas as I remember them.

- Charlie
Charles Oliver N. (Guest)
Charles Oliver N. wrote:
> I'll post some other ideas as I remember them.

- Add support to JRuby for full ParseTree compatibility
Charles Oliver N. (Guest)
pat eyler wrote:
> It's time to start talking about GSoC for 2009.

I've put up a wiki page for JRuby-related ideas here:

http://wiki.jruby.org/wiki/GSoC_2009

Feel free to add to the list, add comments, or seek me out personally,
on JRuby mailing lists, or on irc.freenode.net in #jruby.

- Charlie